Soon, more and more people were contacting her to ask if they could participate. The site allows people to sell straight to buyers rather than going through a salon. Interested parties whether wig makers or, yes, hair fetishists browse through ads with frequently laughable sexual connotations, such as "20+ inches virgin uncut Asian hair: asking for at least $1,000." Jaclyn says site traffic has increased 40 percent since the Dow first plummeted in September 2008.
An Oakland resident and www.hairtrader.com user who prefers to remain anonymous says she is slightly embarrassed that she sold her hair instead of donating it. "But, I have to pay my bills and I got over $500 for the hair I've had on my head for years."
It's hard to keep a positive financial outlook these days. But sometimes as these Bay Area residents discovered it takes a layoff or a similar struggle to get out of one's comfort zone and take a chance on change.
Most Commented On
- "We're not all affluent white - December 12, 2013
- search engine: 1. Seniors - December 12, 2013
- very good points - December 12, 2013
- Can a senior ride a bike? - December 12, 2013
- This is the deal - December 12, 2013
- Historically cyclists were the poor folks who could not - December 12, 2013
- Yes, in fact the Supes should be made to ONLY hire - December 12, 2013
- It actually looks good on them because it's an outdoor town - December 12, 2013
- Banning plastic bags and MacDonalds happy meal toys is - December 12, 2013
- So if that bike rider has - December 12, 2013