Soon, more and more people were contacting her to ask if they could participate. The site allows people to sell straight to buyers rather than going through a salon. Interested parties whether wig makers or, yes, hair fetishists browse through ads with frequently laughable sexual connotations, such as "20+ inches virgin uncut Asian hair: asking for at least $1,000." Jaclyn says site traffic has increased 40 percent since the Dow first plummeted in September 2008.
An Oakland resident and www.hairtrader.com user who prefers to remain anonymous says she is slightly embarrassed that she sold her hair instead of donating it. "But, I have to pay my bills and I got over $500 for the hair I've had on my head for years."
It's hard to keep a positive financial outlook these days. But sometimes as these Bay Area residents discovered it takes a layoff or a similar struggle to get out of one's comfort zone and take a chance on change.
Most Commented On
- Racist slurs don't belong in the Mission - March 17, 2014
- Project Improvements are invisable - March 17, 2014
- When a "conservative" advocates a progressive position - March 17, 2014
- By this broad definition - March 16, 2014
- Its "Social Justice" - March 16, 2014
- People who are socialy liberal - March 16, 2014
- Then what is the SFBG bitching about? - March 16, 2014
- Troll Distraction Topic, as - March 16, 2014
- I have to keep you updated - March 16, 2014
- the point being - March 16, 2014