"We've actually had a lot of success in New York moving these livable streets models forward and we have a lot of best practices to share," he said, noting their network of 175 bloggers in cities around the country and world.
With Mayor Gavin Newsom's penchant for "best practices"; San Francisco's experimentation with innovative ideas like market-based parking pricing, congestion fees, Muni reform, and creation of carfree ciclovias; and the imperatives of climate change and the end of the age of oil, activists say this is the ideal time and place the arrival of StreetsBlog.
"There is an interesting convergence of issues that has made it bigger than it might have been," Roth said.
"And in San Francisco, who's covering these issue besides the Guardian? There is a big need for this," Goebel added. "From a journalists' point of view, we need to call people on their inconsistencies and not just let leaders govern by press release, which Mayor Gavin Newsom has a tendency to do."
Most Commented On
- Good Day Everyone on this - April 19, 2014
- QhVIawLVAR - April 19, 2014
- HOW MY RELATIONSHIP WAS SAVED BY DR BRAVE!!! - April 19, 2014
- HOW MY RELATIONSHIP WAS SAVED - April 19, 2014
- AM SO HAPPY THAT I MET THIS MAN ON THIS SITE - April 19, 2014
- gNqLgYSQzAQAKOGp - April 19, 2014
- Only under the law - April 19, 2014
- Very compelling diagnosis by - April 19, 2014
- That was pretty neutrally - April 19, 2014
- JtCybyvbLH - April 19, 2014