Check out Chinatown-based Volunteermatch.org for a list of specific opportunities and a chance to upload your volunteer résumé great for medium- to long-term volunteering or former Best of the Bay winner One Brick (www.onebrick.org), which hosts an event calendar of upcoming volunteer events great for one-time, short-term, and short-notice involvement.
Most important, we'd like to point out that community service, though incredibly important, is only one way to address our society's ills. "It can be a Band-Aid approach to systemic problems," said Sup. Chris Daly. What we really need, he said, is "to demand more from elected leaders, for people to put themselves forward and take control of political institutions. There's no greater service than keeping elected leaders accountable to the people they serve."
Most Commented On
- No. Expedia and the others don't pay TOT taxes. Here's proof. - March 6, 2014
- All I'm saying is - March 6, 2014
- Expedia etc. collect and pay TOT tax. - March 6, 2014
- Never Used Internet - March 6, 2014
- you're making less and less sense - March 6, 2014
- Ridiculous Discussion- Great Premise - March 6, 2014
- "either short-term lets or Ellis" - March 6, 2014
- More victim mentality from the left - March 6, 2014
- Potential trouble for hosts - March 6, 2014
- EVERYONE has to pay attention. - March 6, 2014