Earlier in the day, when I first showed up, a different mega-pungent smell had been dominant. "It happens whenever food from cruise ships is boiled down," Gibson says, noting that kids on school trips enjoy coming up with descriptions for the occasional olfactory assault.
When Gibson and I return to SF Recycling & Disposal's main building, I spot a sculpture by Henri Marie-Rose, who has exhibited at the de Young Museum, and who has a long-term artistic relationship with the site. Back at King's show-in-progress, there are tetrahedrons- and icosahedrons-in-progress, made of cardboard, and a wreath comprised of Chinese food containers is mounted on a wall.
King has discovered a certain joy in multiplicity he's capable of cutting 1,000 diamonds out from a waist-high stack of Sotheby's auction catalogs. Through dedication to repetition, he has used collage to transform the 1980s men's exercise magazine pinup Scott Madsen into a Shiva figure. With its wide-open skies and mammoth hills whether green or trash-strewn his latest creative stomping ground makes for an interesting contrast from the gardens he tends when isn't making art. It resembles a parody of the Arcadian vistas in his earliest collages. "Sometimes I feel like I want to be narrative, and sometimes I want to be looser," he says, discussing elders and contemporaries he admires, such as John O'Reilly and Fred Tomaselli. "I like the effect of a shift in perspective from a microscope to a telescope, between the tiny and the super large."
DAVID KING: ATOMS, SATELLITES AND OTHER ORBS
With "Christine Lee: Linear Elements"
Fri/23, 5-9 p.m.; and Sat/24, 1-5 p.m., free
SF Recycling & Disposal Art Studio
503 Tunnel, SF
- odogwumalaika@gmail. com is the real spel caster - August 21, 2014
- Still going? - August 21, 2014
- We don't need a shit ton of condos - August 20, 2014
- Why sf why not San Jose? - August 20, 2014
- Ed Lie's support is less than - August 20, 2014
- Didn't Ronald Reagan say that - August 7, 2014
- Except that they've not been - August 7, 2014
- They're outraged but they don't want any Palestinians in - August 7, 2014
- At least we have the - August 7, 2014
- Yeah the Sunni and Shia have - August 7, 2014