He said the stimulus bill is a good example.
"Speaker Pelosi has been a real crusader for doing this the right way," Diridon said, noting that she is refusing to allow members to attach earmarks for favored projects; instead she is basing the list of recipients on Department of Transportation criteria.
Quentin Kopp, chair of the California High-Speed Rail Authority, is trying to get more money for the $33 billion first phase of the high-speed rail project that voters approved a $10 billion down payment for in November.
"You don't want to expect anything. You want to be pleasantly surprised," Kopp said. "I'm not counting on the money, but we will seek several billion dollars on the theory that we can get contracts with people who are threatened or have encountered employment setbacks."
Most Commented On
- PG&E? Benign? - June 19, 2013
- If your idea is that a paper makes endorsements regardless of - June 19, 2013
- Man this article and these comments are awesome - June 19, 2013
- Good God, Ann, what rock have you been hiding under? - June 19, 2013
- Sorry, "h. brown" but your name means nothing to me so - June 19, 2013
- Message: The Guardian's endorsements are the publisher's - June 19, 2013
- Vogt made his fortune in ad fixing scams - June 19, 2013
- Daniele, Tim disobeyed a direct order. That's insubordination. - June 19, 2013
- Funny how the same chicks who showed up during RossGate - June 19, 2013
- Vogt said no paper of his was endorsing Olague - June 19, 2013