PREVIEW For a band that has leased tracks to Grey's Anatomy, Sex and the City: the Movie (2008), and Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008), the Bird and the Bee curiously still bear the burden of being just one buzz band among the ravenous, clamoring multitudes. Nonetheless, the duo's brand of frothy pop has gained traction among various species of photosphere hipsters.
According to their nonchalant MySpace bio, Inara George and Greg Kurstin met, hit it off over jazz standards, played a few, and then never looked back. An established producer, Kurstin has collaborated with artists running the gamut from Beck to Britney Spears. The Bird and the Bee's self-titled, 2007 Blue Note debut garnered attention for the pair, thanks to songs like "I Hate Camera," a capering, catchy track with glinting synths offset by playful electronic noodlings, The music, which the band itself has described as sounding like a futuristic 1960s American film set in Brazil, fuses Kurstin's retro inclinations and suave jazz accents with George's sweet sing-song to darling, almost uniformly excellent results. With George's bold Cleopatra chop and the twosome's taste for playfully kitschy promo pics, you can't say the kids lack style, either.
With the musical intelligentsia stroking their graying beards over the pass/fail results of the second album's litmus test, the consensus is that new record, Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future (Blue Note), delivers its bubbly pop goods with minimal deviation from what's already working. It'll all be up for examination at the Independent.
THE BIRD AND THE BEE With Obi Best. Mon/2, 8 p.m., $15. Independent, 628 Divisadero, SF. (415) 771-1422, www.theindependentsf.com
Most Commented On
- That guy in room 200 has 73% support. - December 19, 2013
- Wrong, greg. Limits on resale of BMR's is legal because of the - December 19, 2013
- The article says that they will pay their fair share. Sorry. - December 19, 2013
- Sounds like you should not be in SF at all. - December 19, 2013
- The moderates nodded through the pro-tenant changes because - December 19, 2013
- Ed Lee never lied. He changed his mind. - December 19, 2013
- Not buying it, Greg. - December 19, 2013
- Yes, English only. You need to pass an English test to get - December 19, 2013
- Yes, a straight runoff between Lee and Avalos would have been 60 - December 19, 2013
- So glad that we could give you food for denials! - December 19, 2013