Parisian hottie and Disco Death Tour headliner Arnaud Rebotini sports the slicked-back pompadour and vintage-shirted ensemblage of a primo rockabilly daddy right down to the fifth of Jack Daniels he usually stashes behind his onstage equipment augmented by the handlebar mustache of a '70s porn star.
The music he makes, however, both as the vocalist with "frozen Balearic gay biker house" heroes Black Strobe and on his own as an analog electro-warrior in a laptop landscape, suggests more a canny backroom raver than a rhythm-and-blues or retro-disco traditionalist. Not to say that the rumble of souped-up engines and the salacious whir of Super-8 skin flicks don't stream through his ancient electronics, but he's definitely more about raising hands in the air than laying down steamy riffs.
Rebotini's last solo release, Music Components (Citizen, 2008), was a valiant and largely successful attempt to build an solid dancefloor set around analog fanboy fetish instruments like the Korg Monopoly, Juno 60, and TRs 909 and 808 no laptops or external sequencers allowed. What emerged was a MIDI wet dream that stomped the jambox and inverted the Valerie and Ghostly International camps' Ableton-driven nostalgia formula this man who looked like he walked right out of Can made actual music of the moment on his tinny machines.
Meanwhile, Black Strobe transformed from a witty electroclash-like DJ-vocalist duo into a full-blown live four-piece, which, confusingly, will be performing a DJ set on the tour. Also on hand will be earnest acid-disco hipsters In Flagranti but my dream of dreams would be for Rebotini, French king of the analog 808, to someday team up with Alexander Robotnik, Italian king of the acid-generating 303, for a mind-blowing all-night session of laptopless hiptwisters. Rebotini and Robotnik in 2010!
DISCO DEATH TOUR
With Arnaud Rebotini, Black Strobe DJ set, and In Flagranti
Sat/7, 10 p.m., $10 advance
103 Harriet, SF
Most Commented On
- I've hired a few dozen people in my time - March 8, 2014
- Yes, the moderate majority are a majority who agree.on - March 8, 2014
- Assuming you get hired to do - March 8, 2014
- They might as well all be the - March 8, 2014
- Eddie, you think everyone posting as "Guest" is the same person? - March 8, 2014
- Only when they pretend they could moderate a meeting. - March 8, 2014
- Unlike your cogent and - March 8, 2014
- You got a problem with poets? - March 8, 2014
- I liked that 'spin time - March 8, 2014
- czgDRqzDBkpbcV - March 8, 2014