PREVIEW There couldn't be a more disaster-prone pairing than Friday the 13th and Valentine's Day, but if the Black Valentine's Masquerade on Feb. 13 at Mighty has anything to do with it, everything's going to go horribly, horribly right. UK electro weirdo James Lavelle of UNKLE and DJ duo Evil 9 are slated to kick off a party that includes shambling zombies, friendly demonic folk, blasts of electro-metal, and horror-movie synths. To be sure, it's a costume party, so try to remember that the ghouls and ghosties aren't actually anything more than people in disguise.
John Cameron Mitchell, director of Shortbus (2006) and Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001), which he also wrote and starred in, proposes to tip off V-day with nothing less than a showcase on the origin of Love or so the name of his gig and film screening would have you believe. Mitchell's set to belt out a few numbers live onstage at the landmark Victoria Theatre, then screen his cult hits Feb. 1315. The show also promises an exclusive director's commentary on the goings-on behind the scenes, plus a slew of titilutf8g readings on sex, love, and romance.
If a more traditional concert is more to your taste, minus drippy musings on the perfume of roses and a huddle of cooing lovebirds, consider the Valentine's Day punk rock soiree at Hemlock Tavern. The defiant lo-fi anarchists of Hunx and his Punx a side project of Gravy Train!!!! keyboardist/vocalist Hunx will bring their take on distorted garage rock to the fore, just as V-day winds down. Pitiless amounts of noise, anyone?
BLACK VALENTINE'S MASQUERADE Fri/13, 10 p.m., $15. Mighty, 119 Utah, SF. (415) 626-7001, www.mighty119.com. John Cameron Mitchell and Hedwig and the Angry Inch Sat/14, 7:30 p.m., and Sun/15, 8 p.m., and Shortbus Fri/13, 8 p.m., and Sat/14, 11 p.m., $25. Victoria Theatre, 2961 16th St., SF. (415) 863-7576, www.victoriatheatre.org. Hunx and his Punx with Dreamdate and Shannon and the Clams Sat/14, 9:30 p.m., $7. Hemlock Tavern, 1131 Polk, SF. (415) 923-0923, www.hemlocktavern.com
Most Commented On
- how is clean power the same as public power - March 13, 2014
- The City Does Not 'run the power' Within CleanPowerSF, PG&E Does - March 13, 2014
- how my hiv was cure - March 13, 2014
- The City Doesn't 'run the power' Within CleanPowerSF, PG&E Does - March 13, 2014
- Oakland is a city surrounded - March 13, 2014
- "Social justice" is the new weasel phrase. - March 13, 2014
- Everyone supports the idea of cleaner energy - March 13, 2014
- It's more like he can't - March 13, 2014
- what the voters support - March 13, 2014
- I'm not "paid by the - March 13, 2014