What is this magical mystery band, Clues, that is headlining Noise Pop? One track wafting through the meshes of the Internets gives off the brainteasing fragrance of rickety rock 'n' roll and weird old Canadian electronics. Otherwise all one can tell is that they hail from Montreal and include former members of the Unicorns and Arcade Fire.
I got a clue or two from sweet-tempered ex-Unicorner Alden Penner, 26, on the horn from up north. Unlike the Unicorns, Clues is slowly unfolding, upon much reflection, after he and ex-AF member Brendan Reed decided to form a combo in 2003. They put out a split 7-inch two years later. "The intention of having a band together has been basically not to try to force anything," Penner said. "I think making a band work is something that requires time and it's something you want to be gentle with." Now they're working at Hotel2Tango on an LP that will "soon be bequeathed on the world" thanks to Constellation Records. Clues' Noise Pop show will be their first in the Bay Area live performance is another mystery they're grappling with. "It's got a lot of rough edges to it," he said, "and I think that has to do with who we are as a band as much as it has to do with the fact that our percussion involves saw blades and rusty metal."
Feb. 28, 9 p.m., $12$14. Rickshaw Stop, 155 Fell, SF. www.rickshawstop.com
Most Commented On
- "AESOP Institute:" Perpetual Flimflam Machine - December 19, 2013
- "That may be why the BOS was - December 19, 2013
- I did a bit of research on - December 19, 2013
- Nonsense. BMR housing has limits on resale price. - December 18, 2013
- I believe I was called by that poll - December 18, 2013
- Thick. Dense. I'll draw you - December 18, 2013
- This is all just silly. - December 18, 2013
- Incorrect. I didn't vote for - December 18, 2013
- Zero accountability is the name of the game amongst - December 18, 2013
- You have eleven more to go then. - December 18, 2013