This year was the brand's fifth, but neither Soernsen nor Morris has quit their day-jobs. "I don't know how we have time to do this," Soernsen admits. "We're so unorganized." The self-deprecating posturing belies the fact that they've grown into an influential label synonymous with San Francisco style. A perfect example? Pop into the SFMOMA store, and you'll notice the museum tees are all by Turk+Taylor.
ACROSS THE POND AND INTO THE BAY
Sara Shepherd is, at heart, a contradiction: edgy London meets cuddly San Francisco. Originally from England, Shepherd moved to San Francisco to attend the Academy of Art University and stayed on to teach at the academy and create a fashion line out of her SOMA studio.
Shepherd's Victorian menswear-inspired clothing evokes images of urban dandies and Byronic heroes, but her work is consciously feminine and innately modern. With tailoring that emphasizes shape over ornament, Shepherd draws her inspiration from classic British icons, whether fictional, like Alice in Wonderland, or real, like Elizabeth I. Despite the distant historical comparisons, her vision remains practical and wearable for San Francisco women who "know their own mind, who feel strong and confident in what they wear and who they are." Like Elin, she's also careful to consider San Francisco weather when designing. "There needs to be the opportunity to layer the clothes. There's always, always a layer to them." More local design! See our Pixel Vision blog for 50 more of SF's hot designers and an exclusive guide to reconstructing a boring button-down into something better, with designer Miranda Caroligne.
WHERE TO BUY
1314 Grant, SF; 415-693-9900. www.alsattire.com
1525 Fillmore, SF; 415-923-9300. www.harputsown.com
Indie Industries and Joy O.
Available at Studio 3579, 3579 17th St., SF; 415-626-2533
Available at Ladita, 827 Cortland, SF; 415-648-4397
Available at Collage Gallery, 1345 18th St., SF; 415-282-4401
808 Sutter, SF; 415-567-8080. www.themiconcept.com
Available at M.A.C. 387 Grove, SF; 415-863-3011
La Library, 380 Guerrero, SF; 415-558-9841
Available at ABfits 1519 Grant, SF; 415-982-5726
Most Commented On
- Treasure Island development plans moving forward after lawsuit - July 22, 2014
- Eviction imminent for San Francisco Community Recycler's Center - July 22, 2014
- Playing chicken - July 22, 2014
- Treading water - July 22, 2014
- My name is Garrett, I am from - July 22, 2014
- Student protesters file claim against City College and SF - July 22, 2014
- Supes to vote on Avalos' "Let's Elect Our Elected Officials" - July 22, 2014
- The problem is people who - July 22, 2014
- Lee family quietly leaves home as activists pledge to push - July 22, 2014
- The dish on knish - July 22, 2014