Appetite: Czech in FiDi, Easter meals, Bushi-Tei bistro, Front Porch bones, and more
The new cityhouse: apres-shopping bacon-wrapped swordfish
As long-time San Francisco resident and writer, I'm passionate about this city and obsessed with exploring its best food-and-drink spots, deals, events and news, in every neighborhood and cuisine type. I have my own personalized itinerary service and monthly food/drink/travel newsletter, The Perfect Spot, and am thrilled to share up-to-the minute news with you from the endless goings-on in our fair city each week on SFBG. View the last Appetite installment here.
NEW RESTAURANT and BAR OPENINGS
A double-dose of Bushi-Tei in Japantown with a new bistro
I love you, Bushi-Tei. Though a Michelin-star winner with rave reviews, I often wonder why few seem to have been to this upscale Asian restaurant with a French cuisine ethos? Chef Wakabayashi is a genius, as far as I'm concerned, and the experience, from wine list to savory dishes to desserts, have always been a creative-fresh thrill for me over the years. I dig the dark woods of the modern dining room, the seamless service, and most of all, the glorious food. So I'm delighted to see the unveiling of Bushi-Tei Bistro this week, with a $6-15 price range and dishes like housemade udon, Japanese curry and sushi. Conveniently close to key Japantown/Lower Fillmore landmarks, I'd guess this could be the new gourmet-but-affordable-Asian-eats stop before or after a movie at Sundance Kabuki, a visit to the Kabuki Spring spa or a concert at the Fillmore.
1581 Webster Street
Cityhouse debuts in the Parc 55 Hotel
It appears to be another Union Square hotel restaurant (i.e. expensive), but Parc 55 Hotel's $30 million makeover (scheduled to be done in June) includes this steakhouse restaurant, cityhouse, helmed by Chef Brian Healy of the former Terrace at the Ritz-Carlton San Francisco. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with an all-day bar oferring swank cocktails and bar bites, it's a downtown shopping respite or meet-up spot with visiting friends craving steak, bacon-wrapped swordfish, oysters and strawberry rhubarb crisp.
55 Cyril Magnin Street
Most Commented On
- It's not just loss-making entities that need to cut workers. - May 21, 2013
- Patients are NOT bargaining chips - May 21, 2013
- There's something creepy about the false accusations of racism - May 21, 2013
- I fully support the strike, - May 21, 2013
- It's true that stocks and RE are now at record highs. - May 21, 2013
- Such a shock, Greg, that you love the homeless - May 21, 2013
- Nope, UC doesn't have billions. It's really just an arm of the - May 21, 2013
- Oh, that old cheshnut? - May 21, 2013
- With inflation very low, no raise is acceptable. - May 21, 2013
- Just because an entity makes a profit does not means that - May 21, 2013