Although there is an adjacent gallery that shows several videos of the Soundsuits in action including great footage of Cave and a posse of pom-pom covered lion dancer-clown hybrids inciting massive dance parties in public the suits themselves stand silent. The audio/visual divide enforced by the two-gallery layout seems to point to the larger issue of static mannequins being the curatorial norm for costume and textile-related exhibits. I guess we'll have to wait until May, when choreographer Ronald K. Brown stages his Soundsuit performances, to see Cave's creations in action.
Cave writes in an artist's statement for the show that he hopes "we will dream together" One would have to have a heart of stone not to take up the challenge and the invitation delivered by Cave's art and implicit in the exhibit's title to create another scene, to go beyond what's familiar, and to transform oneself. I left YBCA dreaming of raiding craft stores, thrift shops, and fabric outlets. I dreamed of painting the town red, cerulean, silver, magenta, and neon green with sequins and glitter. I dreamed of dancing. I'll see you at the center of the Earth. I'm halfway there.
NICK CAVE: MEET ME AT THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
Through July 5, $3$6 (free first Tues.)
Tues.Wed., Fri.Sun., noon5 p.m.; Thurs., noon8 p.m.
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
701 Mission, SF
All photos by Jim Prinz
Most Commented On
- Nothing says "I'm a transplant" - December 20, 2013
- San Francisco is also a hub - December 20, 2013
- So you can't provide a valid - December 20, 2013
- You are calling bullshit - December 20, 2013
- what happened to the golden rule? - December 20, 2013
- I agree - December 20, 2013
- Reading these comments - December 20, 2013
- They also broke a buses' windows - December 20, 2013
- Protests bring tech down to earth - December 20, 2013
- Random Acts of Unkindness - December 20, 2013