Bubble-gum balls, gummy bears, licorice, malted milk balls, snowcaps, whatever your candy craving may be, the Candy Store has. Just be careful this is a child's dream world and snatching a cantaloupe-sized rainbow lollipop out of the hands of a wide-eyed tyke won't go over so well with the shop girl.
1507 Vallejo, SF. (415) 921-8000, www.thecandystoresf.com
1507 VALLEJO, SF. (415) 921-8000, WWW.THECANDYSTORESF.COM
The long glass case that runs the length of Schubert's Bakery in the Richmond District displays the most delectable selection of cakes I've ever seen. The bakery has been a city institution for almost a century, and I have no doubt it's because life is incomplete without their currant mousse and classic cheesecake.
521 Clement, SF. (415) 752-1580, www.schuberts-bakery.com
For French treats in an English garden-inspired atmosphere, the madeleines at Miette can't be beat. The tiny fluffy, moist, shell-shaped cakes are delightful when paired with cappuccinos or tea, and may induce a Proustian awakening after a long, tiring day.
2109 Chestnut, SF. (415) 359-0628, www.miette.com
Truffles are a standard luxury, one not often married to sleek and slightly cheeky design. Haight Street chocolate shop CocoLuxe dusts the top of each of their ganache truffles with a little picture that tells the flavor from teapots and angels to gingerbread men and oranges. Best enjoyed while kicking back in one of the white retro chairs in the mod space.
1673 Haight, SF. (415) 367-4012, www.coco-luxe.com
When willing to go further afield both in culinary palate and location the cream-filled, egg-shaped waffles at Eggettes are worth the adventure. Hong Kongers eat eggettes, a popular street food served in paper bags punched with holes, for breakfast. I can't handle the pastel-drowned Easter-egg interior of the Sunset District shop before 10 a.m., but certainly enjoy the warm puffs as an afternoon snack.
3136 Noriega, SF. (415) 681-8818, www.sfeggettes.com
Most Commented On
- Latin American countrys put Israel on list of "Terrorist States" - August 1, 2014
- We don't have to do things in - August 1, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - August 1, 2014
- Remember, I'm agreeing with you - August 1, 2014
- SF progressives labor under paradoxes - August 1, 2014
- In the future we should build density on transit hubs. - August 1, 2014
- The reason is simply. Unless SF progressives can find a villain - August 1, 2014
- What do you have against white male centrists, - August 1, 2014
- Just because you happen to - August 1, 2014
- If only Airbnb would take out - August 1, 2014