Appetite: Swine fever, Alaskan obsession, Whiskey Wednesdays, Dungeness fritters, and more
As long-time San Francisco resident and writer, I'm passionate about this city and obsessed with exploring its best food-and-drink spots (in all categories), events, and news, in every neighborhood and cuisine type. I have my own personalized itinerary service and monthly food/drink/travel newsletter, The Perfect Spot, and am thrilled to share up-to-the minute news with you from the endless goings-on in our fair city.
NEW RESTAURANT and BAR OPENINGS
RN74 rolls in on French wheels
Start making reservations now for Michael Mina's latest -- and most affordable? -- SF restaurant at the base of the Millennium Tower. RN74is named after Route National 74, which passes through Burgundy, with the focus on, you guessed it: Burgundian pleasures in wine and food. Wine director, Raj Parr, oversees the 80-page, 3000 bottles, 50 by-the-glass wine list (so you know there'll be many a fine choice), and Chef Jason Berthold, of none other than the French Laundry, prepares an exquisite, reasonably priced ($9-17!) menu with the likes of Smoked Sturgeon Rillettes, Crispy Duck Wings, Pea Tendril Veloute, Chilled Salad of Japanese Big Fin Squid, and Herb-Roasted Lamb Loin. Just opened on Friday for lunch and dinner, it's the new, downtown impress a date or colleague dining destination.
301 Mission Street (in the Millennium Tower)
Gourmet sandwiches from random sources continues with Pal's Take Away
Pal's is located inside a dodgy corner market, Tony's, at 24th and Hampshire, with sweet, friendly Jeff and David behind the counter making some kick-ass sandwiches and salads, diving into the ever-growing crowd of gourmet food coming from carts, out of garages (Kitchenette) and whatnot. Just opened last Tuesday, Pal's changing menu includes a banh mi that's becoming a runaway hit in the first week already: tender, pink/brown beef accented with jalapeno, carrot, onion on a crunchy ACME roll. Vegetarians aren't left out with options like Full Belly asparagus tossed w/ Meyer lemon and Reggianno, topped with a Riverdog soft-cooked ranch egg on Acme whole wheat bread. Bet you never got that from a corner liquor/grocery store before.
2751 24th Street
Monday, April 27 - Meatpaper Mag's Pig Party at Camino in Oakland
Most Commented On
- And yet, the national police force - March 16, 2014
- If marcos is stupid enough to use his real name here then - March 16, 2014
- Greg, you claimed a "Chinest conspiracy" during the last - March 16, 2014
- Nobody can afford an accident, so buy insurance. - March 16, 2014
- marcos advocating that no new homes are built smacks of - March 16, 2014
- Greg, nobody is going to read past the point where you yet again - March 16, 2014
- Where do you live, Becky? - March 16, 2014
- The only examples of anti-Asian hatred I see - March 16, 2014
- How irresponsible of the pedestrians in San Francisco - March 16, 2014
- Chronicle scoops Guardian - March 16, 2014