She quotes Joseph Henderson on the Trickster archetype: "sanctioned lawlessness that promises to become heroic." That's a good description of BMSR's affect. Their eye-popping style has evolved alongside their sound, moving from the fuzzy, lo-res aesthetics of Falling Through a Field (2003) and Start a People (2004) (both re-released by Chicago's Graveface Records in 2007), whose covers feature sepia-toned human trees and a shifting-flower-power logo (on some albums the logo is squared, on some it is melting), to their first truly hi-fi record, Eating Us, due from Graveface on May 26.
One user commented on the BBC's Web site that Start a People sounded like "Orbital had tried to create an album just using a stylophone, a dustbin lid, and a Commodore 64." Produced by Dave Fridmann (The Flaming Lips, MGMT, Weezer), Eating Us, BMSR's first studio album, sees a more refined sound and a bigger glow.
Sonic onslaught has been traded for tighter rhythms and analog-synth tapestries. This shift is clear in the deceptively simple music video for "Dark Bubbles," viewable at Graveface's Web site (www.graveface.com). The video is interactive users can alter the time of day and other functions by moving a mouse or using a web cam, while a character, soon splitting into shadows of itself, bounces on an otherworldly trampoline. The influence of the Flaming Lips, with whom BMSR has toured, is clear but understated on tunes such as "Twin of Myself" and "The Sticky." Drum breaks played by real humans make the music truly psychedelic, which is to say more mystic than masturbatory.
Yo Animal Collective, check your Facebook account. Eating Us is dripping from your Wall.
BLACK MOTH SUPER RAINBOW
With School of Seven Bells
May 28, 10 p.m., $12-$14
Bottom of the Hill
Most Commented On
- I do love a good party - March 11, 2014
- 2 of these officers killed my son Idriss Stelley - March 11, 2014
- impressed - March 11, 2014
- Sadder but wiser - March 11, 2014
- I heard a few guys turned into lesbians too. - March 11, 2014
- Guest, I hope that you are - March 11, 2014
- Please don't discourage burners. At present there is at least - March 11, 2014
- The best way to help WOC is to stop inventing PC labels for them - March 11, 2014
- Sad but true - March 11, 2014
- KIPpxoisrn - March 11, 2014