The proposed Comprehensive Truck Management Program does include a provision that would assist independent truckers with emissions retrofits, but the $5 million allotted doesn't begin to cover the estimated $200 million price tag calculated by Beacon Economics, according to Bloch.
The Port of Oakland's Maritime Committee passed a resolution supporting the findings of the Beacon Economics study and urging the adoption of an employee-driver system, but little can be done to move forward with it until after the Southern California injunction has been lifted. The Port Commission was also scheduled to vote on that resolution June 2.
The American Lung Association estimates that one in five children in West Oakland has asthma. According to a report by the Natural Resources Defense Council, diesel pollution is five times higher in West Oakland than in other parts of Alameda County.
Rebecca Bowe contributed to this report.
Most Commented On
- mrnnTPnohFR - April 20, 2014
- oxKRqnzmPVrMsjmmMnNa - April 20, 2014
- RtIIppvQckFtmhHcZcF - April 20, 2014
- DR OSUN CAN HELP YOU - April 20, 2014
- FgPNcPFcFgITocfgIl - April 20, 2014
- xnEEgXqeAgkRiN - April 20, 2014
- JxdHtDYjuVjHnn - April 20, 2014
- CGtmnZFBqyOGkGDYy - April 20, 2014
- udWmivkWKLMee - April 20, 2014
- Why there is so much comment spam here - April 20, 2014