The proposed Comprehensive Truck Management Program does include a provision that would assist independent truckers with emissions retrofits, but the $5 million allotted doesn't begin to cover the estimated $200 million price tag calculated by Beacon Economics, according to Bloch.
The Port of Oakland's Maritime Committee passed a resolution supporting the findings of the Beacon Economics study and urging the adoption of an employee-driver system, but little can be done to move forward with it until after the Southern California injunction has been lifted. The Port Commission was also scheduled to vote on that resolution June 2.
The American Lung Association estimates that one in five children in West Oakland has asthma. According to a report by the Natural Resources Defense Council, diesel pollution is five times higher in West Oakland than in other parts of Alameda County.
Rebecca Bowe contributed to this report.
Most Commented On
- I don't blame a guy for wanting to keep his job. - June 19, 2013
- Wish you well with your causes but you need to up your game - June 19, 2013
- Since when were "Guest" and "anon" multiple names? - June 19, 2013
- Redmond's more fundamental error was to trust government when - June 19, 2013
- LOL, you think every "Guest" here is just one person? - June 19, 2013
- At least you have now learned the difference between quotes and - June 19, 2013
- Just because another ideology is more popular with the people - June 19, 2013
- And since when is a incessant - June 19, 2013
- I guess - June 19, 2013
- Apostrophes again. - June 19, 2013