PREVIEW Matthew Africa jumpstarts his new mixtape The Best of DJ Quik with a young Quik's ambitious plans to be "America's Most Complete Artist." What follows is an expertly mixed collage of rapid-fire blunted rhythms and gangsta blues that captures the zeitgeist of Los Angeles' illustrious G-Funk era. Channeling the slap bass bounce of the Ohio Players and the dance grooves of Zapp & Roger, Quik conducts his singular, Compton-articulated swagger over percussion that still knocks.
Quik's diverse catalog certainly provides fodder to grant him status as the best hybrid producer and lyricist in the game. No seasoned emcee touches his pimp strut flow graced with jazzy finesse. No daring beat conductor successfully ventures into his textured boogie-pop compositions and sounds just as cohesive, raw, and frenetic. But Quik's ultimate edge is the charisma in his braggadocio style and the consistent humor in his street-refined vulgarity.
On this month's BlaQKout (Mad Science), Quik teams up with Dogg Pound luminary Kurupt to reinvest some gutter spirit into today's changing rapscape. A buzz is already building around "9 Times Outta 10," where Kurupt spits hypnotic, stop motion bars over a starkly dissonant drum clap and mushroom-induced atmospherics. My anonymous sources (Internet leaks) tell me we've got some ferocious beats and rhymes coming our way.
DJ QUIK AND KURUPT With Quik's live band, Trackademicks, the Kev Choice Ensemble. Thurs/9, 8 p.m., $20. Ruby Skye, 420 Mason, SF. (415) 693-0777, www.rubyskye.com
Most Commented On
- thanks to one Dr Bacasim a spell caster - April 20, 2014
- AHfbaJyduxKe - April 20, 2014
- rIbttVoMzBxK - April 20, 2014
- tKdmZvDYZrCuaj - April 20, 2014
- Pls Help since without being there you KNOW what happened. - April 20, 2014
- pjaWCwyvEAnRuMK - April 20, 2014
- xFlHMxDECGtHLA - April 20, 2014
- lPpWoIgGbMSIsdgwg - April 20, 2014
- CRVqBMzWusQysfSqmS - April 20, 2014
- rloEFTjaUJYRxlc - April 20, 2014