No less sensuous than The Eternal and undercut with judicious guitar slash and burn; punk and hardcore being less of a bedrock on this watery retreat Veckatimest might as well be nicknamed "The Ravishing."
June 2122, 9 p.m., $22.50
1805 Geary, SF
Aug. 2, 8 p.m., $35.50
1807 Telegraph, Oakl.
SONGS IN THE KEYS OF LIFE
A project that started life as a "casual keyboard club" and took on a life its own, Au Revoir Simone tends to get led around by the quirks and whims of its instruments. For instance, one of the all-female trio's most important keyboards upped and broke at the start of its current tour, adding an element of chance to music-making. "You plug into some room and it might start crackling and making noise," the group's Erika Forster says good-naturedly while traveling through Tennessee. "It's a good lesson in 'Let's see how you're doing today ...''" About 50 "feisty" keyboards were layered throughout the threesome's new Still Night, Still Light (Our Secret Record Company). On the album, Forster says, "We talked a lot about the idea of distance and how that came into play in terms of distance from home and from the people we love and from your own heart." Now Au Revoir Simone is looking forward to making that distance between them and a certain keyboard sound shrink: the musicians found a replacement for their busted Casio MP70 in Santa Clara after scouring the country with the help of friends on Twitter and Facebook.
AU REVOIR SIMONE With the Antlers, Findlay Brown, DJ Victoria Bergsman
With the Antlers, Findlay Brown, DJ Victoria Bergsman
Sat/13, 9 p.m., $16
Bimbo's 365 Club
1025 Columbus, SF
Most Commented On
- Xorauguynahfumg - June 18, 2013
- Do you even know what these words mean? - June 18, 2013
- Speak for yourself - June 18, 2013
- Lucretia is eternal - June 18, 2013
- JAW: Part II even better than Part I - June 18, 2013
- So, so, so much wrong here - June 18, 2013
- My thoughts exactly. What a - June 18, 2013
- I'll miss the Guardian, it - June 18, 2013
- Steve has job-retention worries - June 18, 2013
- No kidding - June 18, 2013