Appetite: Hot pastrami, Little Feat, Omnivore books, Mizuna salad, and more - Page 2
- Bruce Aidells, of Aidells' Sausages, brings on the pork
- A16’s Nate Appleman cooks up a surprise
- Burger Meister and Bouchon Bakery serve their treats
- A "Best of Bay Area" showcase features local cheeses, meats, breads, chocolates, cherries, peaches, tomatoes
- West Coast wine tastings are curated by Best Cellars' Josh Wesson and Gary Vaynerchuck, host of Wine Library TV
Take a deep breath. That's just the Bay Area contingency.
None other than Bobby Flay is the event host, preparing his take on American staples: burgers, fries, milkshakes and, hooray, some Mesa Grill specialties, too. He's judging a Burger Contest (starts at 4:45pm, with judging at 5:30), with SF's Best Burger competitors being Mo's, Burger Bistro, BurgerMeister and Pearl's (like 'em all, but have to admit, I'm rooting for Pearl's!) Other Food Network stars/guests are Guy Fieri (Diners, Drive-ins and Dives), Anne Burrell (Secrets of a Restaurant Chef; Mario Batali's former chief lieutenant on Iron Chef), and Aida Mollenkamp (Ask Aida).
And, finally, the part I'm probably most excited about is eating from some our nation's best all-American food joints, especially the ones I'm homesick for from NY (Junior's cheesecake, here I come!): Katz’s Deli (NY), Pink’s Hot Dogs (LA), Barney Greengrass (NYC), Graeter’s Ice Cream (Cincinnati), Southside Market & Barbecue (Texas), Anchor Bar (Buffalo, NY; inventor of Buffalo wings), Junior’s (cheesecake; Brooklyn), Zingerman’s Deli (Michigan), and Tony Luke's (cheesesteaks; Philadelphia).
Bring the pepto... it'll be worth it.
June 13, noon-10pm
$35 (including first plate of food); kids under 6 free
For ticket info, visit: www.greatamericanfoodandmusicfest.com
6/11 - Nate Appleman, Chris Cosentino, and Traci des Jardins descend on Omnivore Books
I adore Noe Valley's Omnivore Books - not only is it in my 'hood and a bright, charming bookstore worthy of lingering, but the selection of new and used books on all things food and drink, from M.F.K. Fisher first editions (!) to Prohibition era cocktail recipe books, make it a rare and exciting place. They keep the calendar full with weekly visits from a "who's who" in the food world, writers, chefs, sommeliers, brewers and the like. Check out Thursday's line-up: Nate Appleman (A16; this year's James Beard Rising Star Chef winner), Chris Cosentino (Incanto, Iron Chef America), and Traci des Jardins (Jardiniere), who'll discuss the state of restaurants and cooking in our current climate. If you haven't signed up for Omnivore's email newsletter, what are you waiting for? You know you want to cram into a cozy bookstore with Alice Waters, Joyce Goldstein, and the aforementioned threesome!
3885A Ceasar Chavez Street
NEW MARIN OPENING
Lark Creek Inn re-opens as Tavern at Lark Creek
Most Commented On
- yliJjQpIRethx - July 28, 2014
- Limitations on short-term - July 28, 2014
- Planning Commission hearing - July 28, 2014
- fOztfARUnnB - July 28, 2014
- James, you are free to live anywhere that you can afford. - July 28, 2014
- Rentals of less than 30 years have long been illegal? - July 28, 2014
- You might want to see a pro bono doctor about your obsession. - July 28, 2014
- They did say they needed some - July 28, 2014
- YTXUJeRsFv - July 28, 2014
- I have a good job and I can't - July 28, 2014