But: the fish had been taken in Icelandic waters, which are quite a few carbon footprints away.
Also carbon-footprinty, though delicious, was soft-shell crab, available as a starter ($18) on a bed of corn kernels, and as the third of the prix-fixe's four courses, with Puy lentils (a bit overcooked, I thought) and basil-roasted tomatoes. In both cases the crab was fried "naked," which meant without being dipped in batter. Fried batter has its golden, crunchy charms, but it can be overbearing. When you are trying to enjoy crab especially soft-shell crab, the essence of crab the best crust is no crust.
Also, crustlessness shaves a few points from the calorie count, which leaves wiggle room for dessert: a warm (prix-fixe) brownie, say, with a pat of malted-milk-ball ice cream bisected by a chewy chocolate tuile, or, for the more restrained, an array of chocolate bites ($6), including a liqueur-filled truffle and two bites of a sublime milk chocolate-peanut butter pavé. Just the sort of thing the 12-year-old in each of us loves.
Dinner: Mon.-Thurs., 5:30-9:30 p.m.;
Fri.-Sat., 5:30-10 p.m.; Sun., 5-9:30 p.m.
450 Post, SF
Comfortable noise level
Most Commented On
- Sunday parking meters might - April 23, 2014
- HOW DR.OYALOSPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM HELP ME SOLVE MY PROBLEM. - April 23, 2014
- I NEED A RELL SPELL CASTER WHO WILL BRING MY EX BACK CONTACT - April 23, 2014
- AN URGENT CURE TO YOUR HIV/AIDS NOW - April 23, 2014
- i am filled with joy in my heart thank you doctor ogogodu for yo - April 23, 2014
- marriage - April 23, 2014
- thanks to dr Abuko - April 23, 2014
- San Francisco city management - April 23, 2014
- Another, “good look'n out” by - April 23, 2014
- Dead Weight Losses - April 23, 2014