Of course, Until the Light Takes Us full of artful shots of Norway's stark, gorgeous countryside and cityscapes, which go a long way toward illustrating what inspired the black metal guys in the first place is also opening up the scene for curious outsiders.
"It's out of our hands now," Fenriz shrugs. He's bitter, but he's got a point. Murders and mayhem and Mayhem aside, once pop culture snatches up your subculture see: Guitar Hero's black-metal character, Lars Ümlaüt, or the aforementioned Lords of Chaos flick there's no stealing it back.
UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US
ThursSat, 7:30 p.m.
(also FriSat, 9:30 p.m.), $8
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, 701 Mission, SF
(415) 978-2787, www.ybca.org
Most Commented On
- Human rights - March 15, 2014
- Lobby of Trolls - March 15, 2014
- Community - March 15, 2014
- I wanna get rid of you...And you too - March 15, 2014
- nice - March 15, 2014
- false argument - March 14, 2014
- As spoken by one of the - March 14, 2014
- Make-Believe Energy Can Power Make-Believe Engines! - March 14, 2014
- Har, when it all woks out for you - March 14, 2014
- The SOMA junk housing projects hardly represent a city in amber - March 14, 2014