PREVIEW To achieve inner calm, you could do an hour of yoga, meditate on a seaside cliff, or pamper yourself at a spa retreat. But if you don't have the time (or lack the funds), you could also attend a Sha Sha Higby performance to leave you feeling reflective, refreshed and inspired. Higby began her artistic career before she was even qualified to attend preschool. At age 3, a drawing of a single bird launched the artist into a new world of expression. Fast-forward to the present, and the internationally acclaimed performance artist insists she doesn't have another option than to constantly create.
And boy, does this lady create. Using skills she acquired through her studies in Asia, the Marin County resident's performances combine dance, puppetry, light, and sound to introduce a mysterious and haunting world of child-like wonders. She is perhaps best known for her elaborate structural costumes, which are handmade using old techniques and materials such as silk, gold leaf, wood, and paper. During her shows, Higby fully cocoons herself in these costumes, which she uses as evolving canvasses to animate stories of life, death, and rebirth.
For her latest show In Folds of Tea, Higby does it again. For two evenings, the Noh Space transforms into an enchanted pink forest as Higby takes the stage to work her unique brand of voodoo. See you there.
SHA SHA HIGBY Fri/24Sat/25, 8 p.m., $10$22. Noh Space, 2840 Mariposa, SF.
(415) 868-2409, www.shashahigby.com
Most Commented On
- Leftist quoting a jesus? - December 19, 2013
- Here's one: - December 19, 2013
- true - December 19, 2013
- Funny, I don't remember - December 19, 2013
- "Guest", do you have a valid - December 19, 2013
- Absolutely nothing - December 19, 2013
- Go Read Your Bible - December 19, 2013
- Yeah, and a million guys are douchebags - December 19, 2013
- You want one way that San - December 19, 2013
- But the color tones in these pictures - December 19, 2013