And our Local Heroes single out people and organizations that inspire awe and remind us that we can all work to make the world a better place.
Editing this year's installment was something no one could possibly do alone. I had the extreme privilege of working with the marvelous Guardian staff and an amazing smorgasbord of local talent to get 2009's Best of the Bay out the conceptual door.
I shower grateful smooches on them all, especially my right-hand cheese puff Molly Freedenberg, creative wizard Mirissa Neff, amazing illustrator Barbara Pollak, our steadfast advertisers, and the ever-supportive Hunky Beau, my own personal Best of the Bay.
But most of all we thank you, dear reader, for pouring your unique pluck and zing into this great community, for keeping the doors of hope open, and for forging ahead in the quest to keep the Bay an incredible place to live. Happy trails!
BEST OF THE BAY STAFF
BEST OF THE BAY EDITOR
ASSOCIATE ART EDITOR
COVER AND ILLUSTRATIONS
Bruce B. Brugmann, Kimberly Chun, Paula Connelly, Sam Devine, Deia De Brito, Cheryl Eddy, Rita Felciano, Cecile Lepage, Nicole Gluckstern, Johnny Ray Huston, Billy Jam, Steven T. Jones, Justin Juul, Danica Li, Mayka Mei, Virginia Miller, Amy Monroe, C. Nellie Nelson, Scott Owen, Laura Palmer Peach, Sarah Phelan, Tim Redmond, Charles Russo, Joe Sciarrillo, Karen Solomon, Scott Steinberg, Diane Sussman, Stephen Torres, Juliette Tang, Andre Torrez, Susan White
BEST OF THE BAY PHOTOGRAPHER
LOCAL HEROES PHOTOGRAPHER
Scott Steinberg, Diane Sussman
ABOUT THE ILLUSTRATOR
Barbara Pollak's colorful, whimsical depictions of people and objects have been featured in publications including Seventeen and Time, in various games, and in her children's book Our Community Garden (Beyond Words, 2004). When not creating a line of personalized wall art for kids or contributing images to the Guardian, she enjoys traveling, collecting Japanese fashion magazines and '70s kitsch art, making toys, and cooking at her home in Potrero Hill, where she lives with her husband, two young children, a cat, and some resilient tropical fish. You can see more work on her Web site at www.happypix.com.
Most Commented On
- Wait a minute, Ed and Rose - August 1, 2014
- Yes, we should invest - August 1, 2014
- Then why not just say, give - August 1, 2014
- mkfRCeZzcNULzukofHn - August 1, 2014
- Muni only recoups 20% of its costs anyway - August 1, 2014
- You didn't read the memo. - August 1, 2014
- Since you do not live in D8, marcos - August 1, 2014
- The Central Subway is the most important transit project in - August 1, 2014
- You should have known right out of the gate Lee a typical pol - August 1, 2014
- We all supported Ed Lee, of course, else he would not have - August 1, 2014