PREVIEW Like most superhero tales, actor-comedian James Judd's story begins with a spider bite. He hopes the incident will give him superpowers (specifically the ability to manipulate ATM machines with his eyes), but it never comes. Instead, the nasty bite gives him an excuse to, well, sit on his butt. And it is in his treacherously hot Palm Springs home that our hero gains a lot of weight.
In his newest show, Judd tells the story of how a poisonous spider bite on his butt leads to a two-week holiday at a decrepit fat camp in Florida. Tricked by his parents, Judd accepts a birthday gift at a luxury spa ("You'll really love it it's like rehab!" says "Judd's mom) only to arrive at a weight-loss camp in the middle of a swamp in July. To make matters worse, Judd is accompanied by his four Mormon aunts, who were all made famous in his previous show 7 Sins. In his 45-minute set, the San Francisco resident takes on 10 hilarious personalities, from the doctor who is convinced Judd's spider bite is a brain tumor to an aunt who can't seem to part with her Bible trivia books. Laugh along at Judd's pain as he relives how he survives the fat camp while trying to uncover the truth behind a dark family secret. Oh, and he reenacts a scene from a porno called Ass Artist 3 intrigued yet?
WHOOP CLICK! Through Aug 22. Sat, 8 p.m., $20, Dark Room, 2263 Mission, SF; (415) 401-7987, www.darkroomsf.com
Most Commented On
- It's not clear why you want to diss the owner of a publication - June 19, 2013
- And your real name is "h. brown"? Seeks improbable. - June 19, 2013
- In defense of Tim Redmond - June 19, 2013
- Tim the man - June 19, 2013
- And, my 'Anon' new coward 'friend' - June 19, 2013
- Who y'all accusing of slander, no-name coward? - June 19, 2013
- Some made up fake name is no more credible than "Anon". - June 19, 2013
- Ashamed of your given name, 'Anon'? - June 19, 2013
- Community Seeks Say In How SF Grows - June 19, 2013
- The End of an Era Not of a Legacy - June 19, 2013