SEIU members contend that the add-back was supposed to retroactively restore cuts to the 88 CNAs, but Sass told us, "I am not aware of any action at the [Board of Supervisors] to that effect."
A memo that DPH Director Mitch Katz sent to Board President David Chiu noted that "difficult decisions had to be made to reach the financial target," and said the CNA conversions were made "following discussions with the city's Department of Human Resources and SEIU."
At the forum, Halaand pointed to a report from the Controller's Office revealing a 20 percent growth in management positions under Mayor Gavin Newsom's administration. "There's a lot of padding of their wallets at the top. At the bottom, they're devaluing," he told the workers. "There seems to be money out there, but it's just not for us."
Campos told us he plans to request a hearing to examine managerial promotions as well as the ethnic and gender makeup of the city's highest-ranking positions. As for whether some of these cuts might be restored, he told us, "I think that's a real possibility. I am hopeful it will happen."
A study released this year by San Francisco's Department on the Status of Women compares women's median salaries to average men's earnings. According to the report, the median annual wage for Latina women is 52 percent of men's earnings; African American women earn 58 percent; Asian women 63 percent; and white women 88 percent.
Another round of pink slips go out Sept. 16, so SEIU is planning a rally at City Hall that day to demand that the city uphold comparable worth.
Most Commented On
- Seems to me there is only one pro-Marsh poster here. - December 6, 2013
- It looks better ! - December 6, 2013
- Its hilarious that anyone who - December 6, 2013
- one guy? - December 6, 2013
- Has the Marsh actually costed out the same kind of soundproofing - December 6, 2013
- If you invest in their "affordable housing fund" you will get a - December 6, 2013
- The Marsh provides - December 6, 2013
- GPD inhabits some alternative reality. - December 6, 2013
- I wonder if people in Washington DC bemoan the bicycle coalition - December 6, 2013
- Does that include the lobbying by unions and transit advocates? - December 6, 2013