PREVIEW RAWdance's Concept Series is the brainchild of dancer-choreographers Ryan T. Smith and Wendy Rein, who needed a lab situation in which to test concept and show works in progress. They invited friends and artists who looked interesting and who had similar concerns. The result is a series of informal presentations that sparkle with fresh ideas, although the individual works are rarely finished. Watching this type of dance is so inviting, despite the tiny, near-impossible performance space. It's long and narrow, and audiences must be prepared to move the furniture to accommodate a particular artist's requirements. Concept 5 looks especially intriguing. In addition to Smith and Rein's latest experiments, you'll get the inimitable Mary Armentrout; Bob Webb/Bare Bones Butoh you probably know him better as the ubiquitous stage manager who keeps dance shows on track; improv dancers Christine Cali and Amy Stemstetter, freshly back from the East Coast; Printz Dance Project, who have their own show Nov. 5-7; and Lily Dwyer and Scott Marlowe, LEVY Dance members who are striking out on their own. Parking is tough, so patronize Muni. But the price is right: pay what you can and the popcorn is free.
RAWDANCE PRESENTS THE CONCEPT SERIES: 5 Sat/5Sun/6, 8 p.m. (also Sun/6, 3 p.m.), pay what you can James Howell Studio, 66 Sanchez, SF. (415) 686-0728.
Most Commented On
- Who are the "many"? - May 23, 2013
- Thanks for your personal note of concern, Guest, - May 23, 2013
- They can move but they can't vote - May 23, 2013
- I just don't think we should be punishing success that way - May 23, 2013
- You misunderstand. I think SFBG should smash unions and - May 23, 2013
- So you criticize the SFBG's personnel policies - May 23, 2013
- lots of music and art every day - May 23, 2013
- Lead story in internet chat site today? - May 23, 2013
- No, what it really means is that if you work hard nut not smart, - May 23, 2013
- Nowhere else to go? Bullshit. - May 23, 2013