I suppose apoplectic owner Les Natali is trying to somehow channel the spirit of the original clone-era Toad Hall bar through a blaze of big-screens and several hot pink waterfalls?
The cover at Trigger (2348 Market, www.clubtrigger.com) was $8.
By far the best new arrival to the cologne zone is Blackbird (2124 Market, www.blackbirdbar.com), a relaxed, narrow, and hiply appointed joint around the corner from the former Transfer, now known creatively as Bar on Church (198 Church, www.thebarsf.com). Blackbird has been in the news a lot lately due to the sad death of droll co-owner Doug Murphy from swine flu, eclipsing the happier news that the bar has quickly become one of the city's more celebrated hotspots. Blackbird's other co-owner, Shawn Vergara, knows that a few rough edges, a risk-taking cocktail menu try the sparkling, tequila-based "grape drink" and a freak-welcoming vibe stick in the mind more than wannabe polish.
As for the rest of the Castro: Is trying to do something different too much to ask? Did I just crap on a pigeon?
Most Commented On
- The buses ARE the riders. No - December 22, 2013
- Regarding Paula Tejada- rent - December 21, 2013
- Do you like music from the - December 21, 2013
- Yeah, I remember when - December 21, 2013
- So you rather them drive to - December 21, 2013
- That's absurd and you know - December 21, 2013
- Too funny - December 21, 2013
- So because someone is wrong on one thing - December 21, 2013
- What's more, it's a myth - December 21, 2013
- >>>since these techies refuse - December 21, 2013