And now we're a record label whose brand name has some lingering connection to that aesthetic," says the Pedestrian, who still treats hip-hop as a hobby and elaborate game theory. "But what we decide to put out and the music we all make is infused with those early years of collaboration. Those were important, foundational years for all of us."
Sole lives in Denver with his wife, and works as an IT technician for Denver Open Media, a public-access station. "It's not my label anymore. I'm just one voice in it, and I try to contribute as meaningfully as I can to it," he says, adding that he wishes Anticon had a traditional rap profile. So for his new album, Plastique, he decided to work with Fake Four Inc., home to underground artists like Awol One and Mikah 9 (from Freestyle Fellowship).
With Plastique, he focuses on a wide-ranging critique of political injustice, capitalism, and Western hegemony, fed by radical works like Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five and Guy Debord's Society of the Spectacle. Sometimes, Sole fits the American lone wolf profile, railing about the world's troubles.
"Do I wish it was still a crew? Yeah. I miss that. To me, that's what it's all about," he says. "But when you're married, you don't want to be hanging out all the time. You want to be home, making a stew and watching Heroes."
With Mount Eerie, Au, Serengetti and Polyphonic
Sat/17, 9 p.m. (doors 8 p.m.), $16
Great American Music Hall
859 O’Farrell, SF
With Astronautalis, Sahib
Sat/17, 10 p.m. (doors 9 p.m.), $10-12
1928 Telegraph, Oakl
Most Commented On
- We already do. We just don't - April 16, 2014
- I would support that. - April 16, 2014
- Yes, look. Please. - April 16, 2014
- Living for the moment without - April 16, 2014
- I think marcos is correct - April 16, 2014
- You nailed it. - April 16, 2014
- You nailed it. Faculty gets - April 16, 2014
- This is the agency Tim Redmond wants to charge with purchasing - April 16, 2014
- Campos will push for vacancy control if he gets in the Assembly - April 16, 2014
- Guess the potholes in the - April 16, 2014