- This Week
Newsom forces a legal stalemate while hundreds of kids face deportation
10.28.09 - 12:47 am | Sarah Phelan |
"The Campos legislation is mute, it's irrelevant, and it's contrary to federal law, and I think the mayor and the chief of police both agree."
Chief Gascón, concerned about the lack of due process and kangaroo courts at the federal level that he experienced as police chief in Mesa, Ariz,, recently told the Guardian he hoped to see Campos and Newsom find a compromise.
Gascón, who was appointed by the mayor, now says he believes Newsom's hands are tied because of federal laws. "I don't think the mayor has a choice," Gascón told the Chronicle.
But Sheriff Mike Hennessey, whom ICE pressured to amend his department's policy toward immigrant detainees last year, thinks the Campos amendment is reasonable. "I don't think we want to be reporting people who aren't worthy of prosecution," Hennessey said. "Federal law says that if a probation officer violated the Campos' amendment, they could not be penalized, under federal law," Hennessey explained. "That's different from saying they are mandated to report juveniles to the federal authorities."
Juvenile Probation Department Chief William Siffermann told the Guardian that his agency "will continue to discharge its duties and responsibilities in a manner that conforms with all laws and await the outcome of the San Francisco legislative process."
"At the conclusion of that, we will confer with the city attorney and outside legal counsel around any impacts this would have on existing protocols."
Most Commented On
- HOW I GOT MY EX BACK - December 7, 2013
- Its not a reasonable - December 7, 2013
- These days it's not a - December 7, 2013
- Harvey Milk's dog pooper scooper law - December 7, 2013
- dark energy is murder - December 7, 2013
- Milk - December 7, 2013
- troll - December 7, 2013
- People like Castro are permanently angry and bitter - December 7, 2013
- Lost the anger, Castro. It does not become someone who claims to - December 7, 2013
- Then you should ignore his posts instead of reading them - December 7, 2013