As the great man sings, "Do I hear 21, 21, 21? I'll give you 21, 21, 21." It's Fibonacci time: the Guardian Outstanding Local Discovery awards are turning 21, nine years into the 21st century. Old enough to drink and to gamble and to trick, though truth be told, the awards we call Goldies have done all three, if they wanted to, on their own terms, for some time now they've grown up quick, fighting off streamlined convention every step of the way in the name of influential and imaginative art.
It's only fitting that 2009's Goldies feature two winners at the very least who aren't averse to sporting some gold sequins on stage. Golden honey, golden Oakland: these are some of the main ingredients that have revealed themselves in an awards year that doesn't just bend gender but rends it asunder while bringing strong expressions of the theatrical and political. This year's winners can shred, or tear it up on stage. They can discover and reveal a place outside of society. They've got a tender side and go go power.
The 2009 Goldie winners were selected by the Guardian's Johnny Ray Huston and Cheryl Eddy, with input from our writers and critics, including Robert Avila, Rita Felciano, and Glen Helfand, as well as members of the Bay Area arts community. Put on your soulful dress and join the awardees on Monday, Nov. 9 for a free party at 111 Minna Gallery. You'll discover 14 reasons why it's great to be 21.
All GOLDIES winners portraits by Saul Bromberger and Sandra Hoover Photography
SUGAR PIE DESANTO
Most Commented On
- tqofVkihgbk - April 19, 2014
- Wiener’s resolution to study waterfront initiative written by - April 19, 2014
- A GREAT SPELL CASTER THAT HELP ME WITH MY FAMILY ISSUES - April 19, 2014
- And you can't get past your - April 19, 2014
- That is what the city is saying - April 19, 2014
- We as in who the hell u think - April 19, 2014
- N who r u Really?? - April 19, 2014
- What political BS who gives a - April 19, 2014
- Life is beautiful. Let's go - April 19, 2014
- Nieto was a nutjob with a gun - April 19, 2014