The stew (arranged around a set of grilled polenta triangles) was a mélange of (besides the cubed squash) corn kernels, Rancho Gordo beans, diced red bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, and roasted Early Girl tomatoes and flavored with onions, ancho chilis, majoram, sage, and chipotle lime butter. It was tasty, colorful, noticeably spicy, and managed to honor a pair of seasons as well as the ancient Indian trifecta of corn, beans, and squash.
Back to the Mediterranean for the farro sampler ($16.75), a potpourri of farro salad scented with lemon and mint, cucumber coins, cherry tomatoes, summer and shelling beans with tarragon, baby beets on a mache nest, hummus (garlicky!), black and green olives, triangles of grilled pita, and a rather thrilling, earthy-sweet tomato jam that went nicely with the pita and hummus but could as easily been spooned over vanilla ice cream.
Some ice creams huckleberry, say don't need and probably wouldn't accept such help. Huckleberry ice cream (the color of grape chewing gum) turned up in the company of a wonderful apple-huckleberry galette ($8.75) whose pecan streusel could have stood on its own, or perhaps with the cardamom cream mille-feuille laid atop slices of roasted pear ($8.50). I have never entirely accepted the stewed or poached pear, but roasting helps retain firmness an important consideration with pears, whether red, green, or some other color.
Dinner: Nightly, 5:309 p.m.; Lunch: Tues.Sat., 11:45 a.m.-2:30 p.m.;
Brunch: Sun., 10:30 a.m.2 p.m.
Bldg. A, Fort Mason Center
Beer and wine
Most Commented On
- Proof, pudding - July 23, 2014
- Poor Gerard must have a lot - July 23, 2014
- But you're not refuting - July 23, 2014
- What damage does the Hetch Hetchy dam cause now? - July 23, 2014
- I really don't understand - July 23, 2014
- It's really about make it - July 23, 2014
- thank you dr sule - July 23, 2014
- Keep the dam - July 23, 2014
- MUNI workers need raises - NOW - July 23, 2014
- Do they have the right to target civilians, Greg? - July 23, 2014