It's more than running a car all year," he said. "It's staggering, really, how much carbon flying emits, and how incompatible aviation is with anything purporting to be green."
He added: "I think this issue goes straight to the battle over the heart of the green movement. Are we going to tell people that going green is easy and gloss over the difficult realities? Or are we going to be honest about the science that tells us that dramatic changes in lifestyles are required, in particular how we get around and what we consume?"
Yet for activists like Jenson, the extent to which the festival is carbon neutral is insignificant compared to the role the festival could play as a catalyst for future action.
"It is not the role of the activist to navigate systems of oppressive power, but instead to confront and take down those systems," Jensen said. "The point is, as far as an event like the Green Festival explicitly puts itself up as part of a larger culture of resistance, then I don't have a problem with it. But if it suggests that in any way it is remotely sufficient to what we're facing, then we have a problem."
Most Commented On
- UhZYpQYdIrHoLNSFbGw - April 18, 2014
- muAbZelRObmvZW - April 18, 2014
- hPGCEIvEJPfsaPpFotD - April 18, 2014
- One other thing. In the - April 18, 2014
- "People alone who want to - April 18, 2014
- qQnEclrwCks - April 18, 2014
- sLfqqWgljZlsxn - April 18, 2014
- Douchebags are haters who hate on a peaceful day. - April 18, 2014
- SMTlTsxVdWFkRaP - April 18, 2014
- TjmGrSyvfnSJxly - April 18, 2014