"I can hold my nose and vote on anything, but I refuse to vote on something when I believe we have not looked under a rock for every source of funding," Oka said at the meeting. "We have to extend the parking meter hours — we have to find dollars. If Room 200 [i.e. Newsom] doesn't want that to happen, well then ... he's got to come up with a way to do what we need to do. If he's not going to raise parking meters or extend parking meter time, he's got to come up with some money."
Tom Radulovich, executive director of nonprofit Livable City and one of the individuals who helped to create MTA in 1999, summed up Oka's comments with a note of surprise: "He really called out the mayor," he said. "I haven't seen MTA Board members do that — they usually cover for him."
Radulovich — who is also on the BART Board — says targeting motorists for more revenue instead of transit riders would be more equitable, sustainable, and in keeping with the city's Transit First goals in the long run. Proposition A, passed November 2007, established "a strong mandate to reduce transportation-related greenhouse gas emissions," he pointed out. But, he noted, with layoffs that could affect the qualify of service and possibly deter people from riding, "We don't see how MTA is going to get to those voter-mandated transit goals." *
PUBLIC MEETINGS ON SFMTA BUDGET
Saturday, Feb. 6, 10 a.m. to noon
Tuesday, Feb. 9, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 20, 10 a.m. to noon
One South Van Ness Ave. at Market Street, 2nd Floor Atrium
SFMTA BOARD MEETINGS
Friday, Jan. 29, 10 a.m.; discussion of FY10 options, including Muni service reductions
Tuesday, Feb. 16, 11 a.m.; public hearing on proposed FY10 budget actions
Tuesday, Mar. 2, 2 p.m.; public hearing and possible board approval of FY10 budget actions
Location: City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 400
Most Commented On
- Eddie, you think everyone posting as "Guest" is the same person? - March 8, 2014
- Only when they pretend they could moderate a meeting. - March 8, 2014
- Unlike your cogent and - March 8, 2014
- You got a problem with poets? - March 8, 2014
- I liked that 'spin time - March 8, 2014
- czgDRqzDBkpbcV - March 8, 2014
- Greg, we finally found something we can agree on - March 8, 2014
- Yes, Joe, obviously anyone who disagrees with you must be ill. - March 8, 2014
- Why would you feeble and - March 8, 2014
- Who says I'm not considering it? - March 8, 2014