Adding a Turkish note to the restaurant roundelay at 22nd Street and Guerrero
White bean salads are common throughout the Mediterranean. Tuba's is called piyaz ($6), and is heartily spiked with garlic, lemon, and parsley. Then there is the baked eggplant casserole musakka ($13) -- layers of eggplant and potato dressed with cheese, a spicy tomato sauce, and béchamel sauce. Many of us probably think of this as a Greek dish while tending to forget that Greece was the subject of a hostile takeover by Turkey for several centuries.
Among the most appealing of the larger courses is beyti ($14), a flatbread rolled into a cylinder around a filling of spiced ground beef and lamb, sliced into disks and plated with yogurt and spicy tomato sauce. It's very shareable, so don't be shocked if others at your table score their fair share.
Dinner: Sun.-Thurs., 510 p.m.; Fri.-Sat., 5-11 p.m.
1007 Guerrero, SF
Most Commented On
- SNCF - the French national railway operator - March 7, 2014
- Pro Oakland - March 7, 2014
- Skake it Up - March 7, 2014
- Most all of it proven true by - March 7, 2014
- You need a degree in naiveity to work for SFBG - March 7, 2014
- If venture capitalists were - March 7, 2014
- Here is what would happen: - March 7, 2014
- Maybe you just banned for long, rambling, opaque, off-topic - March 7, 2014
- Did you donate your speaker's - March 7, 2014
- If cars and pedestrians have to obey the law then it is not - March 7, 2014