Most experts recognize that the criminal justice system for youths has failed, and putting people in jail for a nonviolent crime doesn't make a lot of sense.
I would ask people across the political spectrum in San Francisco to join me in creating a new paradigm of public safety in the Haight and across the city based on Restorative Circles, a model that will empower our communities and transform systemic problems into real solutions. *
Gabriel, a.k.a. Robert, Haaland is a 15-year resident of the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood and serves on the board of SF Pride at Work and the Democratic County Central Committee. This proposal was reviewed by Li Morales and by Becky Sutton, community outreach coordinator for Restorative Circles, North America. For more info, go to www.restorativecircles.org.
Most Commented On
- You cannot have total equality without a massive cost. - March 11, 2014
- One Source Journalism - March 11, 2014
- Disabled people don't - March 11, 2014
- Lighten up and grow a sense of humor. - March 11, 2014
- Nobody is saying the disabled don't deserve a break - March 11, 2014
- Home Improvement Fashion - March 11, 2014
- Homophobic troll - March 11, 2014
- I do love a good party - March 11, 2014
- 2 of these officers killed my son Idriss Stelley - March 11, 2014
- impressed - March 11, 2014