The pot initiative's going to pass in November. California's going to legalize personal use and small sales. I think that's clear from the polls, and from the fact that the pot supporters are raising a fair amount of money, and the fact that there won't be much effective opposition.
The state Legislature might not like it ballot measures are impossible to amend, and with debate and discussion the measure might be a little different. But Assembly Member Tom Ammiano has tried, again and again, to get his colleagues to see the light: this is going to happen, and if the folks in Sacramento are afraid of it, then they're not going to have any influence over the final product.
And it's amazing to me how many people are afraid of this issue.
All three major candidates for governor, including Jerry Brown, who must have smoked pot at some point in his life (would Linda Ronstadt have gone out with a guy who never smoked weed?), are publicly opposing the measure. Ammiano can't get a majority of the Assembly to vote yes on his legalization bill and Democrats control things. You wonder when these people are going to understand that the voters, most of them, really don't care if pot becomes legal. It doesn't frighten anybody anymore except elected officials.
Humboldt County is already preparing for this; business leaders are talking about the economic impact on the region and how the North Coast can become the Napa Valley of green bud. The Obama administration needs to get ready too ready to tell the federal drug agents to leave California alone. And a few years from now, life will go on, and everyone will take legal pot for granted and I wonder how silly Jerry Brown's going to feel. *
Most Commented On
- material research - May 19, 2013
- Did you factor in this area of the equation - May 19, 2013
- So you exploit illegals while - May 19, 2013
- There is an easy solution to all of this - May 19, 2013
- Good To See You Are Coming Around - May 19, 2013
- If your assumption is all - May 19, 2013
- Wrong, Johnny. You can get US citizenship if you are - May 19, 2013
- Xorauguynaciyxp - May 19, 2013
- I'll take that over arm sales any day. - May 19, 2013
- "Give Them a Job" - May 19, 2013