DJ Said of Fatsouls brings a soulful house sensibility and Afrobeat background to his new monthly party
Deep quality has long been at the forefront of foreign scenes. "To be frank, there's a large global market for what I do," Said told me, and he's right. Berlin and Tokyo — heck, even Estonia — are thriving, soulful-wise. And Said's industry acumen (he earned a business-management degree from San Francisco State in order to run his label) and long-standing position as an Afro-house ambassador help him capitalize on that. A world tour is planned for later this year. "But here in the Bay Area it's still more of an underground thing."
Maybe that's the way we like it, although along with David Harness's Royalty monthly (fourth Fridays at Triple Crown, www.triplecrownsf.com) and the Divinyl Echo crew's Oakland bashes (www.facebook.com/divinylecho), We & the Music might just herald the dawning of a new deep age in Bay nightlife.
WE & THE MUSIC
With DJ Said, Capitol A, and Le Charm
First Fridays, 9 p.m., $7
222 Hyde, SF.
Most Commented On
- "is true, we’re in a - April 21, 2014
- a good man that help me - April 21, 2014
- i need my exlover back - April 21, 2014
- DBGWlgIHuOSxG - April 21, 2014
- a good man that also help me - April 21, 2014
- ngRqQcBlxeODokdxsEka - April 21, 2014
- zWbBAdNqet - April 21, 2014
- UEnuhdnVqFWAxJh - April 21, 2014
- uCnoDZlMvIAxXt - April 21, 2014
- mWgxyNmalCQRrCwgLL - April 21, 2014