Don't say house. It's an empire — Granny's Empire of Art
Granny's two homes — an old farmhouse in the back and a Victorian in the front — contain a Ripley's-Believe-It-or-Not!-worthy staircase covered with pencils that leads to a vintage Circus Circus carpet, a Gaudi-meets-the-Yellow-Submarine bathroom with glow-in-the-dark-slices hidden in the tiles, a fur meditation room, a haunted parlor with multicolored drywall, found photographs compiled into a pseudo family albums, and an old-timey phonograph. All this — and more — comes together to form a fairytale dollhouse that expands with the bite of a cookie, just like Alice's wonderland.
"This is beyond my wildest dreams of the perfect environment. I'm always discovering things I didn't notice before," says Jaina Bee. "I think sometimes my friends have actually stuck things in here without telling me."
Unlike the Peggy Guggenheim Collection or the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, there's an energy that emanates from the life within the home. Jaina Bee says she's thought about the future of Granny's Empire of Art and the possibility that it might become a place for an artists residency program, but says she's made no official plans. Granny's is alive and growing.
There are even lovely sister cats, Crackle and Quilty, who share the home. "They wrecked a lot," Jaina Bee says matter-of-factly. "I think in one year these kittens did $1000 in damage — to masterpieces. But that's art as life. I don't want it to be so precious I can't be comfortable."
Most Commented On
- New Rules... - May 20, 2013
- Oh, yeah. Lilli's tender ears. - May 20, 2013
- ha ha ha - May 20, 2013
- Not agreeing with a progressive - May 20, 2013
- "You're crazy."----Tim - May 20, 2013
- So the omnipresent commenter - May 20, 2013
- The Doors-like band he had at - May 20, 2013
- Disgusting Troll. You are the bigot or you wouldn't be repeating - May 20, 2013
- As though I'm really talking - May 20, 2013
- Agree with the gist, - May 20, 2013