Unlike E-40, who left Jive for Reprise, Short Dog opted to go independent. "I could have got a major label deal two weeks after I left Jive," Short says. "But I'm not going to get 100,000 first-week scans, and that'd be it."
Both statements are probably true; he's high-profile and relevant enough to get signed. Yet given the state of the industry and the youth-bias of major label rap, he's unlikely to go platinum. But platinum's a scarce commodity nowadays. And much like the nearly 40-year-old Snoop, Short still reliably makes hits and sells records. And he doesn't intend to stop.
"I was smart enough to realize when the support wasn't there, I could support myself," he states matter-of-factly, without a trace of bravado.
Still Blowin', Short says, "is just an appetizer for the upcoming menu," his full-blown 2011 disc whose title is "so fly" he won't unveil it yet. "I can't just throw another album out there in this market. I need to warm it up, and this Internet album's to feel out which direction I want to go in." One direction is mixing in songs with a little more food for thought, even flirting with the idea of falling in love on the standout "Playa Card."
"This is all premeditated," he says. "I'm talking lots of shit, but I pick subjects where I can give a little more depth."
"My last and final goal in hip-hop is to shatter that age-limit myth," he continues. "It's totally against everything this hip-hop industry is about. I'll be 45 in 2011, and I guarantee you, I'll drop an album and it'll be the shit.
"I see it like I'm a jazz or a blues musician," he continues. "I should be a rapper when I can't even get off the stool, just sit there, nod my head, and do the show. I should be in a Vegas show with showgirls and shit. I'm going to rap till the words don't come out."
Most Commented On
- Please block all the buses - December 9, 2013
- The SFBG is broken. The very - December 9, 2013
- Again someone who uses logic. - December 9, 2013
- No - December 9, 2013
- Dipped credibility. - December 9, 2013
- Some intelligent perspective from overseas. - December 9, 2013
- I wish I could afford to take - December 9, 2013
- If the cops investigated everyone who wished harm to - December 9, 2013
- Erin McElroy gives new meaning to "sanctimonious" and - December 9, 2013
- Whatever you say, liar. - December 9, 2013