Jefre Cantu-Ledesma makes music happen with bands like Alps and Moholy-Nagy
That goes for his collaborations with filmmaker and kindred SFMOMA staffer Paul Clipson: a DVD of their Super-8 films and sound pieces since 2007 comes out this summer and coincides with an August performance at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. "We love what we do, but there's no plan behind any of it," Cantu-Ledesma ponders. "I know this probably sounds facetious, but I'm not really motivated to make things happen — though obviously with things like On Land, you're booking and buying plane tickets and stuff."
On Land is firmly grounded in Cantu-Ledesma's Root Strata imprint, which materialized in 2004, inspired by SF collectives like Jeweled Antler and then-Bay Area-based performers like Yellow Swans, Axolotl, and Skaters. It's a way to present artists that Cantu-Ledesma and co-organizer and label cohort Maxwell Croy like and have worked with in the last year, in a "nice venue," otherwise known as Cafe Du Nord. In early September, label musicians and friends like Charalambides, Grouper, Oneohtrix Point Never, Zelienople, Dan Higgs, White Rainbow, Barn Owl, and Bill Orcutt will appear, with video collaborations by Clipson and Nate Boyce, at the second annual gathering.
"Does the Bay Area need another music festival? Probably not," Cantu-Ledesma quips wryly. "But you're not going to see Bonnie 'Prince' Billy or Vampire Weekend. We're trying to show a different strata of stuff from California or Oregon, kind of a West Coast underground, or people who just fit into our tastes, which are idiosyncratic and weird."
With Brother Raven and Golden Retriever
Wed/16, 9 p.m., $7
1131 Polk, SF
Most Commented On
- In today's housing news: - March 11, 2014
- Me, me, me, me, me - March 11, 2014
- And they are so biased and bigoted that they are not even - March 11, 2014
- From a fiscal-conservative, Republican -- I agree with you. - March 11, 2014
- "The vaunted Google Bus pilot - March 11, 2014
- Last name? Address? Phone number? - March 11, 2014
- No, I don't work for PUC and I think that Marzia is as useless - March 11, 2014
- I have no problem with providing a Mercedes for every disabled - March 11, 2014
- Companies should coordinate their drop off schedules - March 11, 2014
- Well, that's the name on my - March 11, 2014