Jefre Cantu-Ledesma makes music happen with bands like Alps and Moholy-Nagy
That goes for his collaborations with filmmaker and kindred SFMOMA staffer Paul Clipson: a DVD of their Super-8 films and sound pieces since 2007 comes out this summer and coincides with an August performance at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. "We love what we do, but there's no plan behind any of it," Cantu-Ledesma ponders. "I know this probably sounds facetious, but I'm not really motivated to make things happen — though obviously with things like On Land, you're booking and buying plane tickets and stuff."
On Land is firmly grounded in Cantu-Ledesma's Root Strata imprint, which materialized in 2004, inspired by SF collectives like Jeweled Antler and then-Bay Area-based performers like Yellow Swans, Axolotl, and Skaters. It's a way to present artists that Cantu-Ledesma and co-organizer and label cohort Maxwell Croy like and have worked with in the last year, in a "nice venue," otherwise known as Cafe Du Nord. In early September, label musicians and friends like Charalambides, Grouper, Oneohtrix Point Never, Zelienople, Dan Higgs, White Rainbow, Barn Owl, and Bill Orcutt will appear, with video collaborations by Clipson and Nate Boyce, at the second annual gathering.
"Does the Bay Area need another music festival? Probably not," Cantu-Ledesma quips wryly. "But you're not going to see Bonnie 'Prince' Billy or Vampire Weekend. We're trying to show a different strata of stuff from California or Oregon, kind of a West Coast underground, or people who just fit into our tastes, which are idiosyncratic and weird."
With Brother Raven and Golden Retriever
Wed/16, 9 p.m., $7
1131 Polk, SF
Most Commented On
- Israel unilaterally withdrew - July 24, 2014
- Snap sounds - July 24, 2014
- Israel is surrounded by nations that wish it to be destroyed - July 24, 2014
- Yo, it's hard to see another meaning to the phrase: - July 24, 2014
- When Hamas fires rockets at civilian areas - July 24, 2014
- The cause of Hamas is the destruction of Israel. - July 24, 2014
- You're mean - July 24, 2014
- SEIU - July 24, 2014
- Terrorism - July 24, 2014
- http://nhts.ornl.gov/2009/pub - July 24, 2014