Hairy Eyeball: Static and strange solace in "Occupy the Empty" and "3+3"
Or as Curreri phrases it: "I'm asking people to stand in a moment of silence and occupy it and project."
MORE FAMILY MATTERS
"3+3," a group show of local marquee names at Haines Gallery, contains a lot of eye candy. Shaun O'Dell's delicate ink-on-paper exercises in moiré pattern interference and Leslie Shows' graphic reconfiguration of a brush-painted Chinese landscape scroll via cut-out comics and Benday dot sprays are particularly lovely stations in this curatorial relay: Haines selected O'Dell along with Kota Ezawa and Darren WatersTon, who in turn chose Emily Prince, Taha Belal, and Shows, respectively.
Prince's contribution stands out because the beauty of its craft comments on the nature and history of its craft. In two identical wooden square frames hang what appear to be identical lace doilies, although the one of the right seems more brittle and aged. Closer inspection reveals that the second doily is in fact a to-scale, scanned, and intricately cut-out paper replica of the one on the left, which the wall card indicates was crocheted by the artist's grandmother. Prince's handiwork is no less delicate or "auratic" for that matter than that of her grandmother's, and this tribute to "women's work" is no less genuine for containing a facsimile.
If you want to have a conversation about the place of craft within fine art, you're first going to have to navigate through these two skeins.
OCCUPY THE EMPTY
Through July 10, free
"Last Words" viewing party July 9 , 79 p.m.
Ping Pong Gallery
1240 22nd St, SF
Through July 10, free
49 Geary, SF
Most Commented On
- What am I missing here? - July 30, 2014
- These workers can simply live - July 30, 2014
- Wrong, the city desperately needs all kinds of housing but - July 30, 2014
- Wiener is the smartest of the supervisors and so I'd expect him - July 30, 2014
- This is the flip side of the - July 30, 2014
- I'd argue for an encampment in West Oakland - July 30, 2014
- You appear to see the flaw in your own idea. - July 30, 2014
- The Board does not replace - July 30, 2014
- It's BART's job to provide - July 30, 2014
- One might also consider Abel Gance's "J'Accuse " - July 30, 2014