Speaking with Soundcloud superstar Rico Passerini about the future of dance music. Plus: Todd Edwards, Siouxsie Tribute, Out Side Art, and more
"But in terms of all the music out there at the moment, everyone hearing and being influenced by each other more and more, it's probably harder to make a unique sound. I guess we'll never see another acid house. At the end of the day, though, we don't write the future, so there's no point in fighting it. There will always be good music and there'll always be shit music. I like the good shit!"
TRANNYSHACK SIOUXSIE TRIBUTE
Jeepers creepers, twisted drag queens will seize the red light and leave your city in dust as they genuflect before the goth goddess.
Fri/23, 10 p.m.–3 a.m., $12. DNA Lounge, 375 11th St., SF. www.trannyshack.com
Todd Edwards is the right hand of the house god. The New Jerseyite pioneered the prophetic cutup vocal sound that's influenced everyone from Burial to Justice, and takes the spiritual aspect of dance music very seriously. Get lifted when he joins the Icee Hot crew.
Sat/24, 10 p.m., $10. 222 Hyde, SF. www.222hyde.com
Detroit takes over SF for a kicky house and techno reunion. DJs Gay Marvine and Jason Kendig handle the decks, clubkid Nathan Rapport accepts birthday wishes, and Juanita More oversees it all.
Sat/24, 10 p.m., $5. UndergroundSF, 424 Haight, SF.
OUT SIDE ART: A BLOCK PARTY BENEFIT
I have to keep mum for now, but this awesome-sounding block party is the start of something big on the SF nightlife scene. A huge posse of street artists pumping up a Banksy mural and a host of bigtime DJs including Richie Panic, J-Boogie, and Chris Orr join to benefit Root Division's youth program.
Aug. 1, 11 a.m.–6 p.m., $5. 161 Erie, SF. www.rootdivision.org
Most Commented On
- one guy? - December 6, 2013
- Has the Marsh actually costed out the same kind of soundproofing - December 6, 2013
- If you invest in their "affordable housing fund" you will get a - December 6, 2013
- The Marsh provides - December 6, 2013
- GPD inhabits some alternative reality. - December 6, 2013
- I wonder if people in Washington DC bemoan the bicycle coalition - December 6, 2013
- Does that include the lobbying by unions and transit advocates? - December 6, 2013
- GPD could not be more wrong - December 6, 2013
- Last I Checked SF Was Still Part Of The United States - December 6, 2013
- Ironic - December 6, 2013