FALL ARTS: Falling forward, bending backward, and staying up with Girl Unit, Designer Drugs, Flying Lotus, Lovevolution, Osunlade, and more
NEW WAVE CITY 18TH ANNIVERSARY
Ain't nothing wrong with a little straight-up, nonironic New Wave nostalgia, especially if venerable 1980s-obsessed DJs Skip and Shindog are serving. Of course, the fun part about this being NWC's 18th is that the '80s were barely over before the nostalgia began. Also of course, you won't be able to not sing and dance along.
Sat., Oct. 2, 9 p.m.–3.am., $12. DNA Lounge, 375 11th St., SF. www.newwavecity.com
TREASURE ISLAND MUSIC FESTIVAL
My fondest wishes for this fab four-year-old? More local talent and a DJ tent playing continuous tunes for dancing. Still, it's hard to argue with a lineup that includes Four Tet, Die Antwoord, Wallpaper, Little Dragon, and more undergroundish acts.
Sat., Oct. 17 and Sun., Oct. 18, $67.50 single day, $119.50 advance two-day package. Treasure Island, www.treasureislandfestival.com
PUBLIC WORKS OPENING
I've been dying to sing the praises of the awesome crew of DJs and artists involved in this new club and gallery space, located on a nifty street called Erie and marked by a Banksy mural. Now that they've set an opening date, I can gush: if all goes well, this should be another hot spot to make the city proud. The launch should be a dance dream.
Wed., Oct. 20, 9 p.m.–4 a.m., price tba. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF.
Most Commented On
- NAaXjHtwzrpfIngIoD - March 16, 2014
- Amazon increases Prime’s cost as it turns focus to profit - March 16, 2014
- "The Clean up the Plaza folks - March 16, 2014
- Absolute Garbage. But I - March 16, 2014
- It's so funny when - March 16, 2014
- Did you watch the video provided? - March 16, 2014
- Hi Greg - just to be clear, I - March 15, 2014
- And who will stop the cops - March 15, 2014
- In your opinion does Mr - March 15, 2014
- You guys are two peas in a pod - March 15, 2014