FALL ARTS: Falling forward, bending backward, and staying up with Girl Unit, Designer Drugs, Flying Lotus, Lovevolution, Osunlade, and more
NEW WAVE CITY 18TH ANNIVERSARY
Ain't nothing wrong with a little straight-up, nonironic New Wave nostalgia, especially if venerable 1980s-obsessed DJs Skip and Shindog are serving. Of course, the fun part about this being NWC's 18th is that the '80s were barely over before the nostalgia began. Also of course, you won't be able to not sing and dance along.
Sat., Oct. 2, 9 p.m.–3.am., $12. DNA Lounge, 375 11th St., SF. www.newwavecity.com
TREASURE ISLAND MUSIC FESTIVAL
My fondest wishes for this fab four-year-old? More local talent and a DJ tent playing continuous tunes for dancing. Still, it's hard to argue with a lineup that includes Four Tet, Die Antwoord, Wallpaper, Little Dragon, and more undergroundish acts.
Sat., Oct. 17 and Sun., Oct. 18, $67.50 single day, $119.50 advance two-day package. Treasure Island, www.treasureislandfestival.com
PUBLIC WORKS OPENING
I've been dying to sing the praises of the awesome crew of DJs and artists involved in this new club and gallery space, located on a nifty street called Erie and marked by a Banksy mural. Now that they've set an opening date, I can gush: if all goes well, this should be another hot spot to make the city proud. The launch should be a dance dream.
Wed., Oct. 20, 9 p.m.–4 a.m., price tba. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF.
Most Commented On
- Saw the movie - mewh... - July 10, 2014
- My Name is Erick Wilson..I - July 10, 2014
- And what's that got to do - July 10, 2014
- Because when something - July 10, 2014
- If you would like to make - July 10, 2014
- Supermarket Chains & The 5 Cent Charge - July 10, 2014
- Why is it Campos allows - July 10, 2014
- AgeSong told Campos they - July 10, 2014
- I feel no sympathy for you - July 10, 2014
- economic - July 10, 2014