A new doc explores the spectrum of Spector
Still, to the Jayanti's credit, Agony's strange parallels stay with you: Clarkson, in blackface, impersonates Little Richard (in a failed bid to resurrect her comedy career), around the time Lennon is heard on the soundtrack singing "Woman is the Nigger of the World"; Spector rattles on about how he wasn't surprised when Lennon was shot ("People wanted to become famous by killing him, and if you were neurotic and crazy enough ... ") before a prosecutor offers, "Lana Clarkson wasn't an anonymous nobody who deserved a bullet to her head." Over it all looms the so-called legend — a victim, yes, as he implies at the start, but one who has fallen prey to his own press, and to his own eternally flaming ego.
THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY OF PHIL SPECTOR opens Wed/10 at the Roxie.
Most Commented On
- Insurance Commissioner to CPUC: Tech "rideshare" companies must - July 24, 2014
- How? Wanna back up that - July 24, 2014
- Israel unilaterally withdrew - July 24, 2014
- Snap sounds - July 24, 2014
- Israel is surrounded by nations that wish it to be destroyed - July 24, 2014
- Yo, it's hard to see another meaning to the phrase: - July 24, 2014
- When Hamas fires rockets at civilian areas - July 24, 2014
- The cause of Hamas is the destruction of Israel. - July 24, 2014
- You're mean - July 24, 2014
- SEIU - July 24, 2014