The notion that the ordinance would only be used against troublemakers is problematic too, since a law that is selectively enforced could open the door to legal headaches. Prop. L is misguided, draconian, unnecessary, and the wrong direction for San Francisco. Vote no.
COMMUNITY POLICING AND FOOT PATROLS
Prop. M offers an enlightened alternative to Prop. L. Introduced by Sup. Ross Mirkarimi, it would require the chief of police to establish a comprehensive beat patrol program, with cops on the beat, to deal with the safety and civility issues Prop. L seeks to address. It would also direct the Police Commission to adopt a written community policing policy, involving police interactions with the community, focusing police resources on high crime areas, and encouraging citizen involvement in combating crime. Prop. M also has a poison pill: if the voters adopt both M and L and M gets more votes, then the law against sitting or lying down on the sidewalk would not take effect. So a yes vote for Prop. M is kind of like another no vote against Prop. L. Vote yes.
REAL PROPERTY TRANSFER TAX
With the city facing a massive structural budget deficit, it's hard to argue against a measure that would bring in an average of $36 million without hurting anyone except the buyers and sellers of very high-end property — that is, big corporations and exceptionally wealthy individuals. Prop. N would slightly increase the tax charged by the city on the sale of property worth more than $5 million. Vote yes.
Most Commented On
- Luxury is the best bet right now - December 19, 2013
- Envy has nothing to do with - December 19, 2013
- Nothing says "I'm a - December 19, 2013
- Thank you to gussdolan and Jason - December 19, 2013
- Wow. The shuttles sit in the bus stops for 30 minutes! Who knew? - December 19, 2013
- Tech Buses should be more responsible partners - December 19, 2013
- Good intentions, failed understandings - December 19, 2013
- Except that you are making that up. - December 19, 2013
- Funny, I was sitting at the same cafe - December 19, 2013
- It's sexist to want to get laid? - December 19, 2013