There are plenty of important races and issues on the ballot in the East Bay. Here are our endorsements for Berkeley and Oakland
We typically support any reasonable tax on property to pay for public services, but we can't back this one. Measure X would impose a fairly high ($360 a year) parcel tax on single-family homes — entirely to pay for cops. The police union has been intractable, refusing to give back any of its generous pension benefits to help solve the budget deficit. We can't see raising taxes for that department alone when so much of Oakland is hurting for money.
OAKLAND MEASURE BB
Measure BB would allow Oakland to continue collecting violence-prevention money under a previous ballot measure even if the police department falls below a mandated staffing level. It would give the City Council more flexibility in addressing public safety. Vote yes.
Most Commented On
- There are PLENTY of taxes on - March 15, 2014
- Yes, marcos is a white male tech worker who helped to gentrify - March 15, 2014
- Exactly - the burbs carry the freight of SF's inability to - March 15, 2014
- When progressives encounter reality and power then they - March 15, 2014
- How is the appreciation on 32 - March 15, 2014
- because it is at all - March 15, 2014
- She ran on the "progressive - March 15, 2014
- SFgate article today says lefty schemes again - March 15, 2014
- True, but if we have to have a new tax then let's make it a - March 15, 2014
- There should be a tax on people who think - March 15, 2014