THAT JOKE ISN'T FUNNY ANYMORE
Time will certainly not be on the side of Hugh Brown, who demonstrates in his solo show "Allegedly" at Robert Koch that no amount of skilled workmanship or flawless execution can make up for a paucity of ideas. Indeed, he has but one, and truly, it is more a gimmick than a concept: to remake iconic works of art in his own image.
And how does the artist picture himself? As a chainsaw-wielding bad boy, cutting through the canon and art world pretensions with the power phallus of choice for exploitation filmmakers and ice sculptors. Brown's smash and grab tour through art history includes Diane Arbus (here, the child clenched in rage holds a toy saw instead of a grenade), John Baldessari, Henri Matisse, Barbara Kruger ("I saw therefore I am"), and Roy Lichtenstein, among many others.
Granted, Brown's art is well made and it exhibits a careful attention to the material details of the work it parodies. A "Bruce Nauman" is actually done in neon (surprise, it's a chainsaw). Each work is also credited to the original artist, a parenthetical "allegedly" following their name, as if the dubiousness of what we we're looking at weren't apparent already.
Appropriation is by no means a new game, and many of the artists hijacked by Brown made poaching and quotation central to their own practices. But the art in "Allegedly" lacks any real critical force. It says nothing about the works being pillaged and everything about Brown's estimation of himself. The show is apiece with those postcards that put sunglasses on the Mona Lisa or banana hammocks on Michelangelo's David.
How Brown has managed to convince gallerists otherwise is a mystery that "Allegedly" leaves unsolved. *
WILL ROGAN: STAY HOME
Through No. 6
Altman Siegel Gallery S/F
49 Geary, Fourth floor, SF
HUGH BROWN: ALLEGEDLY
Through Oct. 30
Robert Koch Gallery
49 Geary, SF
Most Commented On
- At what point, and more - March 12, 2014
- PUT A PICTURE if you want - March 12, 2014
- I'm just asking questions - March 12, 2014
- Taxi Insurance - March 12, 2014
- Good luck SFBG/Ex - screw the Chron if they're doin that - March 12, 2014
- Here's what wouldn't surprise me - March 12, 2014
- The trolls here find even a huge fire a reason to troll here - March 12, 2014
- Aside from the conversation - March 12, 2014
- Concentrate Tech Buses at one Terminus - March 11, 2014
- XxShEytJvwICPveckEj - March 11, 2014