Spotlights, please! Our 22nd annual Guardian Outstanding Local Discovery Awards celebrate the best and brightest in Bay Area arts and culture
GOLDIES 2010 Welcome to the 22nd annual Goldies issue. The Goldies stand for Guardian Outstanding Local Discovery awards, and rather than isolating one particular art form as a promotional endeavor, they aim to bring the Bay Area arts community together to celebrate actors, choreographers, filmmakers, musicians, and performance and visual artists who have added something special to the creative landscape.
It's always tempting for me to imagine a grand Goldies production codirected by all of a year's awardees. As they come together, the Goldies have a tendency to take on a life or identity of their own, and this year it's fair to say that through chance or happenstance, the awards are sporting a little more gay glitter than usual. Another theme that has revealed itself is how true fandom or intense appreciation for a form of expression can, through the type of education that blooms from extreme dedication, metamorphose into art. A number of this year's winners began as fans or enthusiasts, and over time, converted that enthusiasm into unique sites, sights, and sounds.
The 14 2010 Goldie winners were selected by myself along with fellow Guardian editors Cheryl Eddy and Marke B., and regular critics and contributors Robert Avila, Rita Felciano, and Matt Sussman. The initial nominations came from contributors to the Bay Area arts scenes and a number of Guardian writers. You can join the awardees and some surprise special guests Nov. 10 for a free celebration at 111 Minna Gallery. If you're wondering what to wear, go for the gold. (Click below to learn more about this year's winners, and check out last year's winners here.)
Most Commented On
- You said your combined income is over 100K - May 25, 2013
- So you maintain both opinions simultaneously? - May 25, 2013
- I did. It means grandmother in Norwegian. - May 25, 2013
- Rent Control is supposedly justified on the basis that it - May 25, 2013
- But the rest of us should be - May 25, 2013
- So when people... - May 25, 2013
- Your problem is with the syntax? - May 25, 2013
- Progressive like to claim to speak for "the people" - May 25, 2013
- Case in Point - here is a - May 25, 2013
- heh - May 25, 2013