From traditional to classical to contemporary to avant-garde to downright insane -- performing arts space the Garage holds a little bit of everything
Although the majority of resident artists come from dance backgrounds — due in part to Landini's strong ties within the dance community — the Garage is by no means limited to dance. Anything performance-related — thespians, circus groups, musicians, poets, and artists of all walks have enjoyed time on the Garage's stage — can ostensibly find a home there. The basic screening process includes a short write-up of the proposed work and a YouTube video of prior work, and the majority of applicants are granted residencies. This egalitarian mentality manifests the Garage's guiding principle that anyone who is willing to give their time and energy in the name of art should have a place to do so.
Thus, a new dancer to the city who needs a place to start choreographing can begin at the Garage. A more established artist with limited funds who wants a theater to present work in is welcome there as well. A multidisciplinary artist interested in combining poetry and film would fit in. An eccentric group of performers who stand on their heads and juggle eggs with their feet could probably be accommodated as well. Imagination is the limit. Whatever the inclination or area of interest, the black box theater at 975 Howard will continue to house and assist performing artists through its generous programming and services. Everyone has a voice, and everyone who wants to should have a forum in which to express that voice. The Garage is a perfect example of an institution that supports and promotes the expression of all voices.
Most Commented On
- Can short-term renting be caused by Airbnb - July 29, 2014
- I am pro soccer, pro natural - July 29, 2014
- you don't sound - July 29, 2014
- Ammiano and Leno seek to reform the Ellis Act and slow SF - July 29, 2014
- Silly people. Everyone knows - July 29, 2014
- Chiu introduces legislation to regulate Airbnb and short-term - July 29, 2014
- Hello, I was diagnosed of - July 29, 2014
- Also Mike Krukow, 1986 - July 29, 2014
- Marcos, nobody would believe the Controller over you. Nobody. - July 29, 2014
- The Twitter corporate welfare - July 29, 2014