Portman is prima in Black Swan
As Nina, Portman gives her most dynamic performance to date. In addition to the thespian fireworks required while playing a goin'-batshit character, she also nails the role's considerable athletic demands. (No need to play spot-the-dance-double, a game most thrillingly deployed during 1983's Flashdance.) Portman's intelligence and intense beauty can make it hard for her to seem like a real person onscreen, but as Black Swan's dread-filled bird, it all fits. It's a career-elevating turn (and I suppose she's finally off the hook for participating in those Star Wars prequels). Nina strives for perfection; Portman owns it.
BLACK SWAN opens Fri/3 in Bay Area theaters.
Most Commented On
- Guardian forum on Plan Bay Area draws big, engaged crowd - July 23, 2014
- That would be perfect - July 23, 2014
- Tech companies should look past 'education' - July 23, 2014
- The # 1 SF value - July 23, 2014
- The Goldes-Ruff Fraudcraft Of MPI, Chava Energy LLC, And Aesop I - July 23, 2014
- Oddly it turns out that a - July 23, 2014
- The people who give a shit are those too - July 23, 2014
- Journalist Joe can't do self selection. - July 23, 2014
- ryjPnPRszUs - July 23, 2014
- Important topic, sophomoric article - July 23, 2014