Portman is prima in Black Swan
As Nina, Portman gives her most dynamic performance to date. In addition to the thespian fireworks required while playing a goin'-batshit character, she also nails the role's considerable athletic demands. (No need to play spot-the-dance-double, a game most thrillingly deployed during 1983's Flashdance.) Portman's intelligence and intense beauty can make it hard for her to seem like a real person onscreen, but as Black Swan's dread-filled bird, it all fits. It's a career-elevating turn (and I suppose she's finally off the hook for participating in those Star Wars prequels). Nina strives for perfection; Portman owns it.
BLACK SWAN opens Fri/3 in Bay Area theaters.
Most Commented On
- Apartments don't really count - December 9, 2013
- The media 4th estate = 5th - December 9, 2013
- There's plenty of public - December 9, 2013
- Or... you could listen to their requests - December 9, 2013
- I wish I could afford to take - December 9, 2013
- Or we could extend BART down - December 9, 2013
- Give me a break - December 9, 2013
- If you live in Oakland, you - December 9, 2013
- "I've been calling for this for several years now:" - December 9, 2013
- how about playing the whole video - December 9, 2013